We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise Tour

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise Tour

Hi all,

Travelling to Hawaii for the first time with a couple of friends and looking for some info on activities, and places to eat (gluten free friendly would be awesome).

We are not really into hiking, more want to relax and enjoy the surroundings. However, I like the sound of the Hakalea Sunrise Tour - any info on that would be appreciated:

Best place to book (ie. in advance, online, through a travel agent, through hotel, through a company, which company, and any other relevant details). Don't worry, I'm not keen on the cycling, heard about the accidents.

Also, would love some more info on other nice things to do in Maui. Any must-see's, any good bars (not even sure if there are clubs, nightlife in Maui?)

We are only there for 3 nights and in Oahu for the rest of our stay (a few days at the start and end of our trip).

Appreciate anything you can share :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise Tour

The easiest and best way to get up to the Haleakala summit is to drive up there yourselves. Hundreds of people do it every day. I assume you are renting a car? If not, it's an option worth exploring. What companies are you looking to book with? Generally speaking it's better to book through the company you are using.

Maui isn't known for abundant night life but yes, there are bars, not too many clubs. Kihei in south Maui, Lahaina and Kaanapali in west Maui are where you will find the bulk of them.

For activities go to the green menu bar on the top of this page. Also the Top Questions on the right hand side. If you find something you are interested in, let us know. There is abundant info right here at your finger tips!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise Tour

On the main Hawaii i in the Top questions on the right is gluten info fro all islands..

here's a link

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28932-c194559/Hawaii…

Most restaurants have gluten free items.

St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise Tour

I would say that one thing you really should do is drive the Hana Highway as the sights are amazing, I could have spent many more hours sat on the Keanae Penisula watching the waves crash on the black rocks.

From a food point of view we stayed in a self catered villa but we have had one restaurant suggested to our site in Paia that apparently serves a good GF pizza

http://www.travelglutenfree.co.uk/NAmerica/USA/Restaurants.php?loc=Maui+Hawaii

Hope this helps

Edited: 11 July 2013, 22:04
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise Tour

Awesome - thank you both so much for the info... Really appreciate it :)

I read a few things last night about Hana Highway, but that is the first I've heard of it. We are not planning to hire a car, but ill do some more research into it. How long does the drive take? Are there any other ways to see it?

St Neots, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunrise Tour

We took a full day to go all of the way and back but you can make it last as long as you want depending on where you stop (if you have a car). I'm not sure if there are any organised tours along it though I'm afraid. It starts/stops close to Kahului so if you did hire a car is easy pick up/drop off.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunrise Tour

We're visiting Maui for the first time in a few weeks. I am gluten and sugar free. Here is a list of just some of the places I've found for gluten free dining options

Aloha mixed plate

Maui brick oven

Costco

Whole foods

Mana foods

Mamas fish house

Paia fish market

Flatbread pizza

Cconuts cafe

808 Deli

Sensei sushi

Among others!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunrise Tour

Valley Isle tours gets high ratings for their Hana excursion.

http://www.tourmaui.com/vans/

they even have GF lunches on special request

Edited: 12 July 2013, 18:30
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunrise Tour

There are a couple of tour companies that do indeed do a tour of the Hana Hwy. Valley Isle Excursions is the one we recommend the most.

I highly recommend you renting a car. Maui is to be explored. You will spend more on tour companies, them taking you where THEY want to take you and not necessarily where YOU want to go!! The vast majority of visitors to Maui rent cars.

If you do rent a car and explore the Hana Hwy, it will take up the majority of a whole day. Average trips there take 12 hours. That includes stopping and exploring on the way, stopping for a swim at Hamoa Beach or Oheo Gulch and a picnic lunch. Without doing any hiking, you could probably knock a couple of hours off the 12.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunrise Tour

Shannyban, glad you saw the ligh and are hiring a car. Essential tool to experience Maui.

Suggest you check out www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for the rental. One of the best, if not the best car hire broker in Hawaii.

Sunrise? Watch this. travelblog.org/Oceans-and-Seas/Pacific/blog-…

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunrise Tour

So we have decided not to hire a car - we are thinking of a sunset tour instead (thanks harleynut for the link) - any suggestions for tour companies that do a sunset tour? I'm having trouble finding one.