We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

Chico, California
13 posts
Save Topic
Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

Hey everyone, I am going to hawaii for the first time for my honeymoon this coming November (leaving on the 10th, spending 7 nights in Maui, then 7 on big island). Now that we have actual days planned, we started looking into hotels and I want to get everyone's opinion on a good place to stay for a honeymoon that isn't going to run us too much.

It seems like a nice resort is going to run at least $250 and closer to $350-$400, which we can swing, but if we could we would like to get something closer to $200-$250. We are aiming for a nicer place on Maui, then an average place on big island to save money, so we definitely want something we will enjoy, but we don't want to spend $500 a night and have no money for excursions. Some places I have read on that seem nice are:

Waillea Marriot seemed to be highly rated and around $285 a night for November.

The Ritz seemed great and around $300 in November, but how is that side of the island in November? Super windy all the time? I am not picky on where we stay since we will have a car and be traveling around a lot, but just curious.

Also heard good things about the Westin, Napili Kai Resort, and Grand Wailea?

Does anyone have any great recommendations for hotels in that price range of if possible a little below but still nice?

Thanks for any and all advice! I am excited to finally be experiencing Hawaii!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,313 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

Have a look at the Makena Resort. It's the last resort on the south side no other resorts with in walking distance, but just a 5 minute drive to Wailea and 10 to Kihei. They also have a free shuttle service to take you to restaurants and shopping. They have some spend 5 night and get one free specials running.

It's on a drop dead gorgeous beach with great snorkeling.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
945 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

That is what I was going to suggest as well, Makena Beach and Golf Resort.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

I'll third the Makena Resort suggestion. We loved our stay there. The area is gorgeous and the staff is awesome with great friendly service. Lots and lots of extras included with no extra fees. Join the I Prefer loyalty program for upgrades and more extras. Happy honeymoon!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

Think twice about going from 'best' to 'less'. Also consider a condo for part of your stay -- usually less rent and always a savings from eating out all the time. You might save enough to do a grand finale at one of the Kohala area hotels. (Hualalai is possibly the best in the state: Mauna Lani is lovely, too.)

South Maui will be more convenient if you want to sightsee the whole island. On Big Island, if you want both sun/beaches and to see the volcano, you'd want to stay in two places -- flying into one side (KOA) and out of the other (ITO).

Virginia
Level Contributor
294 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

I agree with others about South Maui (South Kihei or Wailea) that time of year. As I understand it, the Ritz (on the far west side) can get a good amount of rain that time of year. It is also more convenient for sightseeing the whole island.

I would also second Sue's recommendations about considering spending more on the Big Island accommodation than Maui and considering a condo.... I only mention this since the title of your post included the word "budget", feel free to disregard if you aren't interested. I've found condos in the South Kihei area (particularly Kamaole Sands and the Maui Banyan) to be a great value (far less than your budget, but across the street from the beach). I've also always wanted to try the Mana Kai (which is on the beach, but probably still within your budget). If you do go with a condo, consider renting directly from an owner (vrbo.com is a website I have used numerous times for this and had good results with)... that way you can see pictures of the specific unit you will be renting (as there is often variance within any complex, some have been upgraded much more recently than others).

I was surprised when I started researching condos/hotels for the Big Island that accommodations don't seem to be as affordable there as Maui. The South Kohala area sounds incredible, a splurge there might be a nice way to end your honeymoon (like Sue suggested).

Chico, California
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

Hey ChiSue, I agree that I don't want to go from a crazy nice place to a mediocre place, but at the same time we do also want to start out honeymoon off right. I looked at Makena and it looked really nice. Someone told me Royal Lahaina was nice, but it seemed really cheap compared to Makena, am I missing something? I also did think about condos but we really want that ability to have room service and relax in the room some nights, esp in the beginning of the trip.

That being said, a condo might be our best savings for maui, and then do a nicer resort on BI. As you can see, I am very undecided, haha, and probably over thinking it. Right now it seems like Makena and Wailea Marriot are very similar prices for november, and both look really nice. So we are thinking we might go with one of those, unless we decide on a condo for maui and nicer resort on BI.

Thanks again everyone! Keep the feedback coming :) I am taking notes

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

You mentioned the Marriott Wailea in your list and yes, it is very nice. Fairly recently remodeled, beautiful property with nice infinity pool and adjacent to two of South Maui's great beaches. Napili Kai in West Maui is terrific, more of a condo-tel kind of property so you can do some meals in your unit and save some money. Nice restaurant on site and on a great beach.

The Royal Lahaina is okay - provided you are in the tower (recently remodeled). You do NOT want to be in the cottages on that property. It's on a great beach on the quiet side of Black Rock and easy walking distance to the shops and restaurants of Whalers Village. And the life and buzz of Lahaina is just a 5 minute drive down the road.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

Everyone knows the Makena Beach and Golf Resort is my favorite place on Maui. In November, you will have great snorkeling on the beach it sits above, Maluaka. Great for swimming too. The Wailea Marriott is also really nice and has a great beach to snorkel.

Have you posted on the island of Hawaii (aka the Big Island) forum for accommodations yet? You will get great help from the folks over there!!

Edited: 23 July 2013, 20:52
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,770 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

Condo accommodations on the BI tend to be cheaper than Maui, by quite a bit and you'll get more bang for your buck from most BI hotels too. But there are many more beachfront condo options on Maui. So I'd probably go with a beachfront condo on Maui and a beachfront resort on the BI.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Honeymoon Hotels on a Budget?

Both Makena Beach Resort and the Marriott Wailea are very nice. They are both smaller than some of the gigantic, newer Wailea hotels where you room may feel miles away from the ocean. The Marriott is built out on the lava rocks; ocean front rooms are practically IN the ocean. It has a nice adult pool. It's a stroll to the Shops At Wailea (shops, several restaurants, Starbucks, etc.) and to all of those other Wailea biggies like Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, Fairmont, and the new Andaaz (all $$$$$). Makena Beach is on possibly THE best beach, with a warm staff and great snorkeling, but kinda 'meh' pool. It's more isolated from the rest of the Wailea hub. (There are also great condos in Wailea and South Kihei. See: www.mauiownercondos.com) I cringe a little to pay the moon for a resort hotel if I'm going to be out exploring the island. Anyway, you're on MAUI! It's all good.

You understand that Big Island is very different from the others, right? It's not your 'typically tropical' island, and it's bigger than all the others together. Lots of driving and things are spread out. Not a lot of easy access beaches. Requires staying in two locations if you want both sun and to see the volcano.