We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

Novi, Michigan...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

Hi!

I need some help planning some romantic/fun activities for my fiance and I. We will be traveling to Hawaii in early August for our honeymoon! We are spending 6 days in Maui at the Ka'anapali beach hotel and the Grand Hyatt resort in Kauai for 4 days.

Do you have any suggestions for us? We already have a Snorkel tour planned for Maui. ultimatewhalewatch.com/booking/lanai-snorkel… - it seemed to have very good reviews

What do you think about the Road to Hanna? What about the sunrise on the volcano and riding bikes down after? Or I heard sunset is beautiful.

Any suggestions are appreciated- restaurants, activities, shopping, and anything that would be romantic for newlyweds! :)

Thanks for any help!

Amy

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

Start each and every day sitting on your lanai drinking island coffee (or beverage of choice) listening to the island wake up for the day and breathing in all the wonderful smells as you talk to your new spouse about what you might do that day.

End each day sitting on the lanai (or beach) with a tropical drink watching the best sunsets you will ever see in your life and talking to your new spouse about what you did do that day.

Any other activity is not going to be as romantic, trust me, Been doing the above for every visit to Hawaii and we will be celebrating 42 years together this halloween.

Congrats on your nuptials and choice of honeymoon location.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 17:20
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,527 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

Always count your nights, not your days.

Do you have a good travel guide for each Island and a good map?

Why did you choose those two Islands? The answer should help you choose your activities.

tripadvisor.com/…51066616

You don't want to bike down Haleakala. Here is one of the many, many, many threads discouraging this activity.

You do know that there are no whales in the summer, right? That is not the company I would have chosen for a Lanai trip -- but pehaps others have comments.

A drive to Haleakala is great any time of day. Road to Hana is wonderful, but I would not do them on back-to-back days.

You will have a car on both Islands, yes? And it is reserved?

You are planning very late for a super high tourist season - so dig into both the Kauai and the Maui Forums and start reading. Tons of dialogue about activities and restaurants.

Oregon
Level Contributor
355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

I would go for the Hana trip over Haleakala. Remember it's the road and not the destination that you're going for with Hana. There are just a lot of fun discoveries along the way.

A sailboat might be more enjoyable than the boat I see in the pic on the website you linked. Those tend to be real bouncy. And sailing, maybe the Trilogy, is just a peaceful experience.

I don't know what your dinner budget is, but we can't seem to talk ourselves into spending really big money. In the $20-$30 range, we like Kimo's, Leilani's and Hula Grill. All are owned by the same company and no we don't get a cut for mentioning them. We just like the food and island atmosphere there, and of course the Hula Pie.

Jim

Oregon
Level Contributor
355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

P.S.: I would consider Paragon for a sailing trip. They go to Lanai as well as Molokini and they have a sunset dinner cruise. It's a good family run outfit with smaller boats than most and they try to sail as much as possible (while many others hoist the sails just for show).

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,076 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

Since you are going to Kauai, I would skip the Road to Hana. You will see lots of great tropical scenery on Kauai--but no volcano like Haleakala.

A trip to Haleakala can easily include a wander through Upcountry, over to Paia, and maybe a stop at The Waterfront restaurant in Maalaea for an early dinner.

PS I like the idea of Paragon. Also, SKIP the bike ride.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 17:53
LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

The Trilogy or Paragon trip to Lanai

Skip the bike ride.

Old Lahaina Luau

Road to Hana

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,527 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

You know, Jim ... I have heard people give that same piece of misinformation for years.

Trilogy SAILS. Been there and done that several times. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

Amy, I love the Trilogy Lana'i trip and I love Paragon too. BUT lots of people have a great time on the small rafts and I have heard good things on the forum about Ultimate for whale watching. I haven't heard about their Lana'i tour, but it does sound like they return before the later afternoon when the chanel gets rough. I'd love to try a raft tour, but I'll have to go without my husband because of his back issues.

I'm not sure, but this might be one of those things where we older folks are recommending our favorites because they are relaxing and pampering - lots of great food on Trilogy! Perhaps you are looking for a bit more excitement? Just be aware that most of those rafts do not have a restroom. You get to use the "bladder ladder" and the ocean!

Level Contributor
35,931 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

Road To Hana and Mama's Fish House! :)

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun couples activities for honeymoon?

Another vote here for Haleakala and save the tropical rainforest sightseeing for Kauai. But I say go for sunset instead. Same awesome view, just in a different direction. And you don't have to get up at 0 dark 30 to get there! You won't have to fight crowds at sunset, and while it still gets chilly, it's not nearly as cold as it is up there just before dawn. And be sure to stay until its fully dark. The view of the stars and the Milky Way from up there will knock your socks off. Have some fun exploring the Upcountry in the afternoon (or maybe even the zip line adventure) and then head up to the peak for sunset.

If you like to hike, there are miles of great trails just up the road from your hotel in Kapalua. Pack a picnic lunch and hike to the top of the Village Trails where you'll find a lovely small lake and stunning views out to Molokai and Lanai on the horizon. Here's a link where you can download pdf maps of their trails.

And BrightonBill was right on... never ever miss a sunset. They are different every day and always special. Congratulations and hope you have a blast. The hotels you've chose will be very different experiences but you'll love them both.