We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places for eating

Flushing, New York
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places for eating

Looking to have

1. traditional plate lunch

2. small, non-touristy (??) local places to eat near surfing beaches

3. knock-out all-out stunning restaurant experience

4. not inquiring about the tradtional luau here--thats a separate subject

5. thanks Mahalo

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places for eating

I'd start here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k600225…

note that "best" doesn't mean most $$$$, there are lots of price points, styles, and types.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places for eating

1. I'm not big on plate lunches, but Aloha Mixed Plate gets good reviews.

2. Ho'okipa Beach just outside Paia is always entertaining with surfers and wind surfers riding its wave. Paia has several good dining choices -- popular with both locals and tourists -- so not sure any would qualify as "non-touristy." That said, we like Flatbread Company and Charley's. Paia Fish Market also is quite popular.

3. It's hard to find a more memorable dining experience that what you get at Mama's Fish House (yes, also just outside Paia). The setting, the service, the food and the drinks -- all rate as good as just about anything you'll find anywhere on Maui.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places for eating

Da Kitchen for plate lunches!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places for eating

1. Da kitchen in Kihei has given my coworker food poisoning two times in the last 4 months. I don't know, maybe the Lahaina plate lunch places are better (doubtful) but the plate lunch places in kihei, wailuku or kahului are not worth eating at. If you want good plate lunches would recommend you go to Oahu. The possible single exception is surfside deli in kihei. They are cafeteria-style plate lunch with 3-4 choices per day, I would say that a few of their dishes are pretty solid, and the atmosphere is good.

2. 808 deli in kihei? Maybe cafe olei? Again, no really stellar choices here.

3. None on Maui. If we are doing maui-style grade inflation, maybe capiche? Definitely not mamas - I am born and raised in Hawaii I ate there one time and that is it - total joke.

I'm sorry to be so negative but if you compare Oahu to Maui as far as restaurants Maui is a complete and total fail. With the exception of star noodle in Lahaina and cuatros in kihei there is no where that I would take someone from Oahu and be really proud about it.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 08:51
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places for eating

""I'm sorry to be so negative but if you compare Oahu to Maui as far as restaurants""

Why compare Maui to Oahu? I would never compare the food world in Seattle to NYC. There is no comparison. But, that does not mean there is not a variety of good food in Seattle.

For most peoples tastes, there is good enough food on Maui other than just Star Noodle.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places for eating

For plate lunch check out Aloha Mixed Plate

For quick food near surf spots, check out the many amazing food trucks on the island (they have an app), or in Paia: Paia Fish Market or Cafe Mambo or Flat Bread Co.

As a foodie, I personally feel there is no 5* dining on the island. For me, the closest thing is Il Teatro at Capishe. However there are some amazing meals on Maui!!

Edited: 25 July 2013, 15:35
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places for eating

I am comparing Oahu to Maui because the OP asked for good plate lunches. The reason people not from Hawaii ask for plate lunch recommendations in the first place is because Oahu is legitimately famous for its plate lunches. So then people think if Oahu has such great places probably all of Hawaii does. To avoid disappointment and/or food poisoning I just wanted to let them know that asking for a good plate lunch place on Maui is equivalent to asking where the lava flows into the ocean on Maui. It doesn't. That is a different island where that happens.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 17:00
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places for eating

Yikes! I feel like I'm missing out on something. What's a plate lunch?

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places for eating

If you are staying on the west side Honokowai Okazuya is good we ate there last month everyone enjoyed their plate lunch.

We loved Fish Market Maui in Honokowai great plate lunches there with fish tacos which are the bomb and I am not a fish lover.

Tried to eat at Da Kitchen the day we arrived but it was a sunday and they were closed we were disappointed as we wanted to try it.

I have to agree Oahu has lots more places for awesome plate lunches.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places for eating

I keep hearing Local Food in Lahaina is good, especially for the price. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60634-d23…

Planned to try it on our last trip but didn't make it. It's still on the list.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 20:36