We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset on Haleakala Crater?

Novi, Michigan...
12 posts
Save Topic
Sunset on Haleakala Crater?

Hello,

My fiance and I are thinking of watching the sunset on the Haleakala Crater as part of our upcoming honeymoon. Would you recommend it? We are a little nervous about driving down in the dark, is it okay?

I know we could also see the sunrise. From what I've read, the sunrise is colder and more crowded. Would anyone recommend a tour that would drive us up?

Thanks

Amy

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset on Haleakala Crater?

Do the drive yourself. The drive up and down is not really that bad. Driving up for the sunset allows you to go up on your own, spend as much time as you want at the crater and also allows you to perhaps spend the whole day exploring upcountry before going up the volcano. Also, stay a bit up top after sunset if you can. The star gazing is like no place you will ever experience on earth again, but dress warm, it will be near 40 as the sun goes down and drop as the evening progresses.

Go to Makawao, the lavender farm, Surfing Goat, Tadeschi Winery, Kula Farms... so much to see and do, then make your way up top.

Personally I prefer sunset, as the day we went for sunrise, it was literally snowing, and although you know it's going to be cold (and I'm Canadian) it was COLD, windy and damp. Sunset was just a much more enjoyable experience and equally as majestic and beautiful.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,397 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset on Haleakala Crater?

Sunset is beautiful. Remember it gets COLD when the sun starts fading. If you do plan to stay and star gaze, bring your beach chairs and a blanket. Nice to lounge back and stare up.

The reflectors are well placed and it's an easy drive down after dark. I just drive slow. It's nice not having a string of folks piled up behind me.

The summit is also beautiful mid morning to mid afternoon when the sun rays are shinning down into the crater. About 3 pm you will lose the light (sunrays) hitting the cinder cones in the crater and the colors won't be as brilliant.

Sunrise, mid day and sunset all have their pluses.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,119 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset on Haleakala Crater?

Kitsura, do you pack your red mittens when you go to Maui ;o)

Amy, you have received some great advice above, and I hope you make the trip up there. It really is a beautiful place.

Are you planning on driving the Road to Hana as well? You pay 10.00 for the car to enter the park at Haleakala, and the receipt is good for three days. You can use the same receipt to enter the park at Oheo Gulch, a half hour drive past Hana.

Congratulations too! Have a wonderful time!

4. Re: Sunset on Haleakala Crater?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:18