We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day in Maui

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
First day in Maui

We are arriving in Maui on Aug 31 at 6am, however the checkin time for the condo I not until 3 pm. I am hoping you guys can help me with some queries.

1. We're renting a compact car, and planning on doing some shopping and sight seeing prior to checking in. We will definitely take our valuables with us, but would it be safe to leave our luggage in the trunk of our car behind?

2. We're planning on going to Iao Valley since it's pretty close to the airport and it may be a quick trip to get our vacation started. Are ther any good breakfast places around the area?

3. After Iao I really want to drop by the Maui swap meet since we will be leaving before the next swap meet. I'm hoping to pick up son souvenirs and produce for the condo, is that a good idea?

4. If we still have time, we are planning on stopping by a beach along the way to Honua Kai. Do you have any beaches and lunch places to take out lunch that you can recommend?

Thanks!!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First day in Maui

If it were me, I'd go straight to Honua Kai and leave my bags with the desk and then go about your day before check in. It would really suck to have your car broken into when parked anywhere with all your bags in there...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First day in Maui

I wouldn't go to Iao Valley with anything in the car. More than likely nothing will happen but why take the chance? Do go up to the Honua Kai and drop off your bags, then go site seeing or shopping.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First day in Maui

Stillwell's opens a 6.. http://stillwellsbakery.com/

Swap meet opens at 7 am and you will find breakfast food there also.

I'd head to the Swap Meet, just don't open the trunk or leave anything in the front.

Buying produce when you can't check in until afternoon wouldn't be good. You will have Farmers market close to your condo.

Going to Iao is risky with luggage. So after swap meet I'd go to condo, leave bags, swim and eat. This late in the summer you might get lucky with an early check in. Have you talked with the person you have the condo from?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,741 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First day in Maui

Cafe o Lei at the Dunes is another option for breakfast. They are located at the golf course, in the Wailuku area. But they don't open until 8:30. So it depends on how hungry you are once you get off the plane.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
529 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First day in Maui

I would be afraid to leave all of your luggage in the car. I did read that you can take your luggage to the front desk at Honua Kai and they will store/hold on to it for you until you return to check in. There seems to be quite a few farmers markets near Honau Kai as well so I would wait for my produce until there too. Hope you have a great trip!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First day in Maui

Going to Iao Valley as your first stop, then back to Kahaului for swap meet is not good idea.

Arriving at 6 AM will give you a bit of a challenge for a couple of hours before the Maui swap meet opens...think its 8 AM opening, but could be 7 AM. Grab a bit of breakfast before heading over to the swap meet...maybe to get you into a Denny's type island spirit, try Zippy's. The swap meet is open til 1 or 2 in the PM and there's everything from tourist knick knacks to great farmers market produce and a few ready made fresh food. Its not too hard to spend a couple of hours at the swap meet.

By the time you're done with the swap meet, it will probably be mid to late AM. If you're looking for lunch, try Da Kitchen to really get you island spirit. Its at least 45 min drive to Kanaapali so i f you're done with lunch around noon- 1 PM, time to head to HK. Take your time on the drive, enjoy the scenery and then the HK beach after check in.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First day in Maui

I am a little puzzled........I don't know of any flights that arrive on Maui at 6 AM. What flight and from where?

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First day in Maui

@ SWMarket, I actually arrive at 6:41 am. I'm coming from NYC, via JetBlue first to Vegas for a couple of hours (Slots in the airport! Woohoo!). Vegas to Honolulu (arrive at 5am) then Honolulu to Kahului.

Thanks for the tips guys! I booked HK through an owner, and I just sent her an email regarding my predicament, hopefully she is understanding and lets us check in early which is the best case scenario. I wanted to do Iao Valley then because I know that we may not do it at all if we don't do it that first day.

I also wanted to go to the swap meet since I wanted to get stuff to bring home for coworkers and friends, and since we leave Friday this is my only chance of going to the swap meet.

Regarding the farmer's markets near HK, do you guys know where they are located

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First day in Maui

I'd definately go to the condo and have them hold your luggage if that's an option. Early check in will likely depend on when the previous occupants checked out. There's a cleaning cycle that has to be taken into account.

The closest farmers market to your condo is at 3636 Lower Honoapiilani Road and operates Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7Am to 11AM. There's also a small grocery / deli in the same parking lot that has lots of good stuff as well. They make an olive tapenade that would make mudpies taste good :-)

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First day in Maui

Thanks for the tip on the Farmer's Market! :)