We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Palms or Grand Champion

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Palms or Grand Champion

Can anyone recommend one of these condominium complexes over the other? We would prefer to walk to the beach, although we will be trying many beaches while we are there. Would like a decent sized pool where you don't have to fight for chairs. Have stayed at the Marriot in Wailea before and love the beach walkway along there, and the shops of Wailea, so access to that from the condo would be great. Going end of January. Thanks for any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Spokane
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

We haven't stayed in the Palms but did stay 3 yrs in #188 @ GC. Don't know if you've looked at these complexes relative to Wailea, Shops & beaches (google earth) but unless you're a heck of a walker don't think you'll find either suitable to walk to the beach. We did walk down to the shops from GC...but if we wanted to walk to the Wailea beachpath we drove & parked at the shops & then accessed the beach path going thru the Marriot. Palms only has one pool for the complex, GC has two pools...neither real big but chairs were never a problem and they do have restrooms at the pools along with the BBQ's.

You didn't state your budget, but sounds like you would be happier with Ekahi or Elua...but I know Ekahi is pretty booked for January...you would have to get cracking to find a unit & probably won't have many to select from.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

Depending on the unit, walking to the beach from the Palms is certainly possible, depending on what you consider a reasonable walk. There is access to the beach and the walkway next to Ekahi. I don't recommend trying to walk from Grand Champions.

Edited to add: Here's a map if you haven't already looked: mauiownercondos.com/images/maps/wailea-maken…

Edited: 31 July 2013, 18:40
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

You know both of these are on golf courses, right? (Not my favorite.) Palms is much nicer, and is closer to the beach and Shops At Wailea. Even closer to the water and also low-rise, low-density are Ekahi and Elua (both on the beach side of the road) and Maui Kamaole in South Kihei.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

Thanks. Think we are going with the Palms. The only thing that makes me nervous is the rainy season this time of year. Coming from Toronto, so a long ways to go to have rainy days....... Anyone been there late Jan/early Feb??

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

I posted about the weather in your other thread.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

Do you have a crystal ball? Just joking! It may rain, it may not, but overall South Maui is less likely to have rain at this time of year. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, you'll still have a great time!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

I have been very lucky with Maui weather in January and February...not so much in March. Being from rainy Oregon I understand the desire for dry weather. Have learned just to book and hope for the best. At least it is always warmer.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

Palms is a superior complex. Not real *close* ocean views, but OK.

Every winter is different. Some years we've had high winds -- like last Jan. and Feb. It will be cooler than your autumn visits.

M B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

We stayed at the Palms for the first few days of a two week vacation two years ago and could not wait to move to the Elua. The Palms is old and the unit we were in had been updated but only somewhat, The bedroom was air conditioned and if we wanted air conditioning in the rest of the unit, they would have added a daily charge. The window arrangement did not allow for good cross ventilation. There was a nice, large lanai. We were also not happy with the stairs both inside and outside of the unit. The pool is somewhat small and was full of kids the end of April and early May. .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The Palms or Grand Champion

We would be on a ground floor unit #703 that I am renting from VRBO. Looks to be nice by the pictures. I will have to check on the AC issue. Wondering if we really need it that much in late Jan?