We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui kayaking tour

Lake Forest, Ca
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui kayaking tour

Which company is good? Don't mind strenuous, but want to see some good stuff, not just an hours worth of shoreline and a few fish.

Thank you!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui kayaking tour

we are thinking about going on the www.clearkayaksmaui.com

not sure if this fits your requiements but worth a look?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui kayaking tour

We did a trip that left from flemming beach with maui eco tours or maui eco adventures...Can't remember the name. Great trip. A bit of work but saw dolphins tons of fish and beautiful bays.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,990 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui kayaking tour

Check into Kelli's Kayak. Most respected kayak company on island.

http://www.keliiskayak.com

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui kayaking tour

I had a great experience with Maui Eco Tours at Olowalu. They took us to two amazing reef areas well off the beach that had crystal clear water. We saw so many turtles I lost count and also saw an eel that was about six feet long!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui kayaking tour

Despite my physical inability to keep up (lol!) Kelii's Kayak was awesome and our tour guide, Derek, was wonderful! Kept encouraging us and never made me feel inept! Lol! We did te West Maui snorkel tour from Olowalu and saw more turtles (at least a dozen) than I thought possible!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,426 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui kayaking tour

I agree with Kelii's Kayaks and Maui Eco Tours.......I have recced them for years and used them both a lot when I was in the biz. Both are good companies.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui kayaking tour

Fungirl.......I kayaked for the first time in a freezing clod lake and it was awesome! Was it the waves that caused you such a problem? Just curious because we are considering renting kayaks on Maui and then I remembered your trip report and had second thoughts.

Thanks for the questions BMWPoodle cause I think we would be better off with a tour group for the first time just because of the waves. At least if I fall in........ the water will be quite warm compared to falling a lake up here! My kids said i would have to be trying very hard to fall in and they proved correct but our kayak was a long, double seater and felt very stable. Deb

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui kayaking tour

Deb, my husband said it was because I paddle with my hips. I can't seem to just use my arms like they suggest. Might be because my hands were too close together on the paddle? Not sure! Oh and apparently, my hiney is full of sand! Thus, my inability to get it back into the kayak! LOL! NORMAL people wouldn't have this problem as nobody else did on our tour! I don't think I had any business doing this but my boys wanted to do it!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui kayaking tour

LOL........what we do for our kids! That's why I "faced my fear" and got into a double seater kayak, to hang with our daughter, her fiancé and our son. If we buy kayaks, my husband wants to get singles, so I guess he was doing a lot of the paddling and getting in sync together was a challenge, at first. They were all so proud of me and I can assure you that if we actually do this in two months, I will highlight it in my trip report! And thanks to this thread, we will use Kelli's Kayaks and sign up for the tour!

I do not want to just head out to sea, in rented kayaks, and find out we can't get back to where we came from. We had waves on our massive, cold lake, but not ocean waves! I really liked the sunset tour and almost signed up for it spur of the moment. Plus this is something our 23 year old son could enjoy during the week he will be with us!! Score and now I am so excited! Deb

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui kayaking tour

Deb, you've done it before so you know what to expect! I think you'll do well! The waves weren't an issue for us even though the wind kicked up while we were out snorkeling. It was just my inability to balance correctly! LOL! We too did the tandem kayak with my husband (being the stronger of us two) in the back. He spoke up several times and just told me to sit still and put my hands in my lap! LOL! I think your plan of doing a guided tour is a smart one since you've never kayaked in the ocean before. Kelii's is great! I still need to do my reviews. :)