We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Foodie" restaurants for casual family

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
"Foodie" restaurants for casual family

One of our favorite things about Hawaii is the food! This is our first trip to Maui, and we are compiling a list of best restaurants to visit while we are there. The problem is, the best restaurants for our family are not necessarily on the top list. We are a foodie family from California, enjoying local organic fresh food with creative flavors. Almost any ethnic cuisine or flavor combination goes. While we enjoy fine dining for date night, Hawaii vacations are all about the family. And we have THREE kids under 6. So the bottom line is we need some really, really good food from places that are more casual. I don't care if its a restaurant with a patio on the beach or out of a truck, but no fine dining or experiences that will take more than an hour from walking in the door. Also no spam, brown gravy, or macaroni salad please :)

If it helps, we will be 5 nights at the Sheraton Resort Kaanapali and then 4 nights at a condo across from Kam III in Kihei.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

While in Kihei, check out 3's Bar and Grill:

http://threesbarandgrill.com/

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,438 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

If you go to the right side of the page, you'll see two "top questions" which will help. They are the "best restaurants" and "cheap eats" questions. Both have lots of options in type, price,, style, and location.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

I've perused both lists, but didn't find exactly what we are looking for. The cheap eats seem to include a lot of "local" food and pizza and stuff. I don't care about cheap, I want quality and deliciousness. The best restaurants, on the other hand, seem to be mostly populated by high-end fine dining places, which also won't work for us for the aforementioned reasons.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

We are doing Maui for the first time tomorrow! Yay it's finally here! I've used the Yelp app and found many awesome casual places. Check it out its great!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,438 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

Actually, there a lot of moderate/casual/fresh local places on the "best" list, but maybe we need better info from you to help.

What price ranges for a meal do you want? Do you want no fish, some fish, no gluten, no this, no that?

Places like Fish Market Honokowai, Gazebo, the TS restaurants, Maui Fish and Pasta, Pacific O, Mala, Honu, and Star Noodle can all be cheap-reasonable depending on what meal and what one orders.

Places like Cafe O Lei, Flatbread, Three's, 808, Gannon's Pacific View.........same thing.

Tell us where you have eaten in Hawaii-your favs-that will also help us.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

Monkeypod Kitchen in Wailea. Coconuts in Kihei for fish tacos. 808 Deli. Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina. The Maui culinary school restaurant is on my list for next time. We like Milagros in Paia for fish tacos or a fish burger. Paia Fish Market. The Fish Market in Honokowai. Honokowai Deli (awesome Ono with lemon caper sauce ... mmmm). Cafe o'Lei at the Dunes golf course (nice outdoor seating, covered in case of rain). Sam Satos in Wailuku if you don't mind driving. One of my (non-vegan) friends loved a vegan place called Choice in Lahaina. I'o and Pacific'o if you went early for apps, maybe (both in Lahaina ... lots of farm-to-table stuff); This is not all "local, organic, etc..." but a pretty good mix of local, tasty and farm-to-table ... Have fun.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

As a fellow foodie and knowing exactly what I like, I am big fan of compiling restaurants from lists of what other people recommend and checking out their websites and menus online myself . There is usually great pictures of a few dishes as well so it help me get a better idea of if this is what I am looking for in a restaurant.

As a foodie you have to check out Star Noodle, simply to experience Maui's own Top Chef.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

Have you thought to try take-out from places like Star Noodle and MonkeyPod and maybe even some higher end restaurants? If you want to enjoy your food in a relaxed way with the kids you might not have to worry about that 1 hour time limit. You could eat at your condo or a beach park with space for your kids to run around while you adults really dig into some good food and maybe a bottle of wine if not driving. Another one to try is Pita Paradise. It sounds like fast food but it's much better. The owner catches his own fish daily. http://www.pitaparadisehawaii.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

We are fellow foodies from SF Bay Area. Just enjoyed outstanding wasabi and spicy poke, seafood chowder, and catch of the day at Eskimo Candy Seafood Market and Deli. Incredible flavors. It is a casual place but we are coming back for more poke.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Foodie" restaurants for casual family

konagirl, your recs look great. Those are exactly the kind of places we are looking for. I will add Pita Paradise to the list too. We may do takeout once or twice, though often a lot gets lost from higher end places when you take out because you are paying for ambiance, presentation and service. At that point, I'd probably do almost as well just to warm something up from Whole Foods (with that bottle of wine, of course!)

It kind of looks like in West Maui all of the good places for us are in Lahaina. Are we going to be driving down there constantly during the 5 days we are staying at Kaanapali? Are there any good Kaanapali restaurants that aren't absurdly fancy?

Edited: 31 July 2013, 23:23