We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

Hello!

I have a couple of quick questions..hope this makes sense...

My husband and I are each considering opening up a Hawaiian Airlines credit card. Therefore, we would have 2 credit cards.

Are they still running the special where you get 25,000 miles for joining and then 10,000 miles for the first 1k you spend? If so, could my husband and I combine our 70,000 miles to pay for one of our round-trip airfare tickets (RT airfare for us is 60,000 miles per person right now for our dates). If so, could we then use the 50% off voucher to pay for the other person's roundtrip airfare?

It looks like on the website they only let you apply the miles to one "leg" of the trip instead of one person's total airfare...therefore...would the 50% off discount only be on ONE leg of the trip for ONE person or could we apply the 60,000 miles for one person's round-trip airfare and then get 50% off the second persons round-trip airfare (instead of just one leg)? This makes a difference of about $200.

Sorry if this is confusing!!! Thank you!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

You need to contact hawaiian air for updates.

I like there website for booking flights you can click to see the price in dollars or click and see the airfare price in points.

NYC
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

I have the Hawaiian Airlines credit card from BofA. I got 35k miles after I spent 1,000 dollars in 3 months , I think it is the same deal you have mentioned. I think you also get a bonus 2,000 miles on your anniversary of when you got a approved for the card every year.

If you have the card, then your mileage requirement for redeeming miles is less. For example, the cheapest requirement for a roundtrip from mainland to Hawaii would be 40k miles but for card members it is only 35k. The further out you book, the cheaper the mileage requirement. For example, I looked at miles for a RT flight from JFK to Maui and it was 35k per person 8 months out....fast foward to 5 months out and the miles required jumped to 55k for the same flight. The early bird gets the worm I guess.

I ended up using the coupon for 50% off a companion flight for me and my husband. You might as well use the coupons since it is a perk of getting the card. I'd rather save the mileage and go when I can plan my trips a bit further out and get the low mileage requirement. Oh, you can't use miles and a coupon at the same time. It is either or. BUT you can use miles for one way tickets and pay for the return separately or use miles for one ticket and pay for another.

Right now only I have the card, my husband hasn't applied for it yet. We were going to wait to see if I liked the card enough to apply for another one. Note that as long as one person has a card, your spouse or family members can transfer their points to you with no fees or charges which is nice to consolidate miles.

Oh and not sure if this is still going on, but American Express membership rewards points were able to be transferred to your hawaiian miles account with a 20% bonus.

So if your goal is to get to Hawaii for free...60k miles is pretty high. if you get the card, you will get it at 55k miles which helps a bit. but the signup bonus for both of you will not be enough to cover both your flights. Are you able to change your dates of your trip? If so, getting the 35k round trip flights from JFK are pretty awesome and well worth it...otherwise I'd just use the coupons depending on the price of airfare.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

I would talk directly with Hawaiian Airlines. I doubt that they will let you do what you described ... and policies do change ... so call them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

Thank you so much tifa2276!!! :)

Quick question...did you get the initial 25,000 miles upon signup or do they hold these points until you make the 1000 purchase and then give you the 35,000 miles all at once?

Thanks again!!!

NYC
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

I believe they gave me 25,000 upon first purchase and an extra 10,000 after the 1,000 spend. And it took less than 3 months to get there. :)

I would double-check though as sometimes the bonuses change.

Oh yeah, they usually give you 2 coupons when your card is activated - one for 25% off total airfare for you and a companion and then the 50% off companion airfare. They will appear in your account when you log in to Hawaiian Air. They work out to be be about the same discount usually.

The coupons can only be used in economy class though and they will gray out the economy plus and first class options when you book with the coupons.

Good luck with the miles!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

Thank you!!

I'm SO bummed! I just called to sign up for the Hawaiian Airlines VISA and they are not currently accepting new applications at this time. Apparently they are working on getting a new credit card going and the rep told me to keep checking back on the website...he didn't have a timeline of when the card would be available again...

....so bummed!... : /

NYC
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

Really? I hadn't heard they were phasing to new cards. They did send me a survey earlier this year on what types of card benefits I would like to see, so maybe their benefits will be even better once the new card is released.

Other airlines that fly there...United has a direct from Newark to Maui, or you can connect via the west coast. I took that flight a few times with a connection and they were fine but I definitely prefer the wide-body planes that give you the 2-4-2 seating arrangements. If you connect in Chicago those may be available.

Also try looking into Alaska airlines which flies to Hawaii a lot from the west coast. United has a great credit card. Their minimum mileage round trip to Hawaii from the east coast is 40k miles but you get nice perks like free checked bags, and lounge passes. Their signup bonus is only 30k right now, but I have seen offers as high as 55k so just keep checking.

Hope you get to Hawaii somehow!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

Thank you so much for all of your help tifa! I'm definitely going to look into the suggestions you mentioned. It looks like United's card is great. I just did some searching on another message board and they had tips on how to get 50k miles even though only 30k are being advertised. Just might have to go that route...hopefully it will work! Thanks again for all of the information you have provided! I truly appreciate your help! :D

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

Hey tifa..one more quick question. For the Hawaiian airlines card...once you reached the $1000 spending how long did it take for the miles to appear in your account? I checked the fine print on the United card and it says it can take 6-8 weeks...which seems like a long time.

Thanks again for your help! :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,390 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Airlines Miles (repost from Hawaii board)

Hi elliebelie - do you have a link to the message board you refer to here? << I just did some searching on another message board and they had tips on how to get 50k miles even though only 30k are being advertised.>>

Thanks!

Teri