We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

I know lots of people ask this same question regarding rain in Maui in winter months, but here I go. We are about to pull the trigger on flights to Maui Jan 28-Feb 4. We are coming from Toronto, so would be coming a long ways to have lots of days of rain. We are definitely staying in Wailea. We have been to Maui twice before, but both times in Sept/Oct. Would you advise a week in Maui at this time of the year? We could definitely go to the Caribbean easier distance-wise. We love Hawaii, but really want warmth, sun, and nice weather. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,521 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

Well, Nick the Wonder Dog's crystal ball is not showing next winter yet!

It's a crapshoot, as you already know. Could we be in a storm--sure. Could it be dry and not a drop of rain on leeward sides? Sure.

If we get a storm during that time, it will be a Kona storm, and come up from the south. That may make the whole south side awful--and the west may be better unless the storm is big enough to impact it too.

Kona storms are stubborn--they circle around and around until we get a trade back to move them out. We had one in 2006 that lasted for 42 days..........but even then, there was always sun and clear spans of hours and hours.

So, I know this isn't much help, but I'd say your chances are better for good weather than not.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

I agree, chances are you will have great weather opposed to it raining all the time. Can't forecast a storm here any better than a snow storm in St. Louis. You know it will get cold and snow but can you tell me it will snow there on your dates?!! LOL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

Msfuzz, I see your point. I am currently living in Toronto, so escaping the cold and snow is even more important. I'm okay with the occasional rain here and there. What I am NOT okay with is rain hanging around and no sun for day after day. I have never travelled anywhere during rainy season, and /or hurricane season because it just can be such a bummer if the precious vacation time gets ruined due to storms. But, I understand that there is never a guarantee anywhere anytime

for that matter. 12 hours of flying for rain would be so disappointing. I love Hawaii so much I really think I will take the gamble. From what everyone says, it could be just fine!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

weather.com/weather/…USHI0801

Here are the average temps and precipitation for Wailea.

You will love the whales, and it won't be snowing - so COME!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,798 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

We've been 3 times in January. Some days it rains, but we've always had a fabulous trip with lots of sunshine to be found! You can usually travel to another part of the island if it's raining where you are. And if most of your days are sunny, a little bit of rain just gives you contrast to enjoy. And remember - rainbows!

Getting away from winter weather and the whales, the whales, the whales make it all so worthwhile to visit Maui in the winter! Just book it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

Yes, I am going for it! Maui is calling me. What can I say?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,521 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

Good for you!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

You can say YEA!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

dist - you say ... "Maui! I'm coming! Save some Hula Pie for me!"

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: weather in Maui late Jan/early Feb

Do you have your hotel or condo? Your rental car?This is a very popular time of year because the snowbirds (like me) are escaping mainland winters and the whale watchers are there too.

Last winter January was very windy -- too windy to use the lanai some days. There were Kona winds for days at a time; we used our A/C against that. February continued windy but gradually got better.

We're in South Maui for two months. We've had nasty wind only a few years, but I would be very unhappy if I had only one week and hit that kind of weather, after such a long flight.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 23:12