We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokini or Lanai

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Molokini or Lanai

Have decided to do Trilogy tour after reading TA but which is best 1/2 day or full day tour?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,728 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokini or Lanai

They are so different, it's not fair to compare them to each other. Instead, compare the Molokini trip with a half day Kaanapali Snorkel trip (Trilogy or other boats).

I personally think Molokini is overrated and overused. Others like it.

For a full day trip to Lanai, compare Trilogy with Paragon, or one of the raft trips.

The Lanai trips are great, but snorkeling at this time of year is not always that good on Lanai.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,404 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokini or Lanai

It just depends on what you want and what your expectations are. For me, the longer the trip the better. I'm one of those who really enjoy's going out to Molokini. I've been to Lanai 3 times and the surf was always too large at the bay to snorkel. I've also been on Trilogy and Paragon. Paragon takes less people.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokini or Lanai

I echo the comment that Molokini is overused. Way too many people these days - it often seems like there are more people than fish :-)

Msfuzz- sorry to hear you couldn't get in the water, because when the conditions are good, this is some of the finest snorkeling in the islands. Trilogy is the only operator that does a trip to Lanai and they do a fine job. They feed you all day as well.

The alternative would be to take the Lanai ferry over and walk to the beach. It's a 5 to 10 minute walk depending on your pace. The ferry leaves from Lahaina harbor.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,404 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokini or Lanai

Trilogy isn't the only company that does a trip to Lanai. I've gone to Lanai on Paragon and there are a few others that go out there now too.

I would love to snorkel the bay someday rscotty, I've been out there during the winter and summer. Guess I'll have to try for spring or fall!! LOL!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,914 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokini or Lanai

Where are you staying? Don't bother with Molokini if you are staying in West Maui. Take a catamaran from Kaanapali.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,728 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molokini or Lanai

It looks like you are staying in Kihei? If so, remember that any of the Lanai trips will mean a drive over to Lahaina Harbor. That's where the cats go from (Paragon and Trilogy). The rafts sometimes do too, if Mala Wharf is out of operation.

One of the oldest raft trips to Lanai has been around for about 13-15 years, several others for over 10. They aren't new, Fuzz.

OP, if you want an exciting smaller raft, look at Blue Water Rafting out of the Kihei Boat Ramp, they go to Molokini.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 03:23
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Molokini or Lanai

I love the beach at Lanai. The walk out to the point. The little tidal pool that usually has toddlers splashing in it. Good restrooms and lunch by the pool of the hotel.

It has been a marine reserve for as long as I remember.

i went to Lanai with Seabird Cruises, Windjammer Cruises, Trilogy and Maui Expeditions. Two are still in business.

8. Re: Molokini or Lanai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:17