We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaanapali to Kihei

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Kaanapali to Kihei

We will be driving from the Kaanapali area to Kihei and I'm wondering if there are any notable stops along the way? Are there any tourist lookouts, museums, notable food places, etc??

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaanapali to Kihei

There are several turnouts in the road along the way with great views. The Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea is definitely worth a visit - http://www.mauioceancenter.com

The Waterfront Restaurant also in Maalaea is excellent! And the Kealia Coastal Boardwalk is way worth taking the time to enjoy - mauihawaii.org/sights/kealia-coastal-boardwa…

Edited: 05 August 2013, 04:20
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaanapali to Kihei

I second the Waterfront Restaurant in there new spot at the Maui Ocean Center.

NYC
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaanapali to Kihei

Central Maui attractions will be kind of on the way - so I'ao Needle is a nice and picturesque stop. Also third the recommendation for the Waterfront restaurant. I still dream about their table-side Caesar salad.

A short detour for a nice cheap local place is Sam Sato's in Wailuku for delicious dry mein - they close at 3pm though and can get quite crowded. Also in Kahului, Homemaid Bakery for some flaky manju, and Tasaka guri guri for a special sherbet that is an Only-in-Maui treat. It's a little bit too sweet for me, but I do like it in moderation, and it's super cheap too.

I have done all of these when driving from Kihei to Kaanapali and back. Next trip I will check out the Maui Ocean center!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaanapali to Kihei

Not sure where in Kihei you want to go. We skip north and central Kihei by taking Piilani Hwy. instead of pokey Kihei Road. Follow signs TO WAILEA & MAKENA. We turn right off Piilani to steep Kilohana Road and drop down to the coast. You can turn right on Kihei Rd. to the Kamaole Beach Parks, or turn left to Wailea.

5. Re: Kaanapali to Kihei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:18