We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

We took Mokulele from Kona to Maui, this afternoon. I was very pleased to see the tiny "terminal" at Knoa where Mokulele operates. No TSA, no throwing out drinks, no x-rays. My only complaint, they made me and my carryon get on the scale, and I was forced to see the number. Who would have guessed that my carryon must have weighed 50 lbs!

The flight was a little rocky, but actually quite fun and we got a chase to really see the Kona/Kohala coast on the way out. The commuter terminal at Kahului was equally small and casual. Once I got my bearings, and saw where the rental company vans pick up, I was shocked at the huge line for Avis. Each van filled, and the line looked no smaller. So, I decided to do something crazy and walk it. What a surprisingly short walk! But, I'm still not at the best part...

At the Avis counter, the woman sees I have an intermediate reserved and suggests an upgrade to a small SUV. "You'll have more room and a better view of the road."

"Is it a free upgrade?" I reply.

"No, but it would be heavily discounted."

"No thank you. I'll stick with my intermediate."

"OK, stall F7, the key is in the car."

I walk outside and find F7, but there's no car there. Instead, there's something that looks like the result of a space ship having a one-night stand with a station wagon. It's called a Ford C-Max hybrid. It was comfortable, with plenty of head and legroom for my 6'6" body. It had an automatic opening and closing hatch. It swallowed 5 suitcases (we never travel light) and barely burped. It gets 38 miles to the gallon. It tells me how well I break and gives me green leaves when I do good (taking them away when I punch the accelerator). It has a backup camera. It has duel climate zones. It has two joysticks, on the steering wheel, making it look like a PlayStation controller. I LOVE MY SPACESHIP!

And all that for the price of an intermediate!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

I just loved your post........I imagined you driving off in your awesome space vehicle, happy as can be! How cool you used an airline to island hop that we hear so little about, and how dare they weigh everything and everyone......lol!!! I'm seriously wishing you will be keeping us up to date in real time cause it promises to be lots of FUN! But I will understand if you want Maui all to yourself. Have a blast Grandeau! Deb

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

So proud of you! At least you figured out how to start it! Strange new rental cars are always an adventure...have a great visit,

Level Contributor
35,211 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

Sounds like a really fun car... aloha and enjoy your time in paradise! :).

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

Wow, you should get a job with Ford's ad agency. I looked at the photo http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/ Interesting you got a hybrid. Luck of the draw as to what cars had been rented, and what had been rented, before you arrived. Number of bags is a plus. But looks like no trunk so were the bags visible from the outside?

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,163 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

Grandeau, What a FUN start! And it's all about airports and rental cars still. Hope to read more of your reports! Happy Maui time to you!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

My brother just bought one of those cars. Loves it. And I too loved your post, as my wife and I are booked on Mokulele from KOA to OGG in September, and our car rental is also with AVIS. Knowing you're 6' 6" and checked 5 bags makes me (and I'm sure, my wife) feel better about flying Mokulele. Their website says they restrict the size of checked bags. Not that ours are unusually large, but did they appear to be sticklers about that?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,843 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

Maui in a space mobile, how could it be any better!! Thanks grandeau!!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

What a great surprise start!! LOL! A spaceship sounds like a great way to travel around the island! ;)

Someone must have put bricks in your carryon while you weren't looking, huh? ;)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

No helmet?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pleasant Surprise Upon Arrival

Luckily, my wife has a Prius, or we might have been dead-in-the-water, when I couldn't find where to put the key. The answer, by the way, is "in your pocket" as the car starts with a push button. This is actually a great system, since I keep keys, ID, and credit cards is a waterproof box. Now no fumbling with the box. Just grab handle (unlock), press button (start), and off you go!

The space ship has a small, covered area behind the second row of seats. Good for 2 bags. But 2nd row seats fold flat, which allows you to carry anything up to a small waterbuffalo. People can see your waterbuffalo, but who's gonna steal that. In all seriousness, we drove straight to the condo, so no worries about exposed bags.

Mokulele has little planes, which is why the have limits. But, we checked 3 big bags (45-ish lbs) and one roll-aboard, with no problems. After we checked the three big bags, my wife asked if her roll-aboard would fit in the overhead. "Um...we don't have an overhead. You'll need to check that one also."