We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to Stay in November 2013

Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Place to Stay in November 2013

I am looking for your suggestions on a place to spend 6 days/nights on Maui from 11/2 through 11/8/2013. The last time my wife and I were on Maui was February 2012 at the Grand Wailea. Previous to that, we stayed at the Fairmont in September 2010, so we are quite familiar with the south side of the island (I also lived on Oahu from 1993-1999, and made several trips to Maui during those years & stayed in Kihei & Kapalua in addition to Wailea). We have been to most of the popular places, and this trip is mostly to relax, eat some good food and enjoy shave ice at Ululani's. And my wife also wants to snorkel and paddle board.

For the last couple of years, we tried to stay at a Starwood property whenever it made sense (we stayed at the Grand Wailea because of a meeting being held there), and Starwood has 3 properties on Maui, all on west coast around Ka'anapali: Sheraton Maui, Westin Maui & Westin Ka'anapali. Their room rates range from low $300's to low $400's (including taxes/fees) for non-ocean view rooms. I also read many posts here about condos, which is not an option we have tried before, but are open to. What we liked about the condo option is that we could get ocean front or ocean view for about or even less than a non-ocean view room at one of the hotels mentioned.

I spent some time on VRBO and other condo rental sites, and read about places like Kileialoha (liked the unit, views, turtles) (didn't like the lack of a real beach, small pool not facing ocean), Honua Kai (liked that is new, modern, 3 pools) (didn't like that not all units are ocean front, it's a big property) Ka'anapali Shores (some units are truly ocean front, beach), etc.

What we like about West Maui is the proximity to most of restaurants we like, and there are good snorkeling spots, but I'm not sure about paddle boarding. It may be a bit too windy for that, whereas the south is less windy.

In summary, we are looking for an ocean front place with a real beach, a pool, and near good restaurants. Would like to hear whether staying in West Maui for what we want to do makes sense and specific property recommendations (hotel or condos). Thank you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to Stay in November 2013

Budget please! That would be a big help to those that want to give advice.

Have you looked at the Mahana? ALL ocean front there, no doubt about it.

With vrbo, you know exactly which unit you are getting, so even though Ka'anapali Shores is not ALL ocean front, that doesn't mean you can't get one. We stayed there with our three kids in 2010, one with a loft. NOT ocean front, but ocean view for sure. We did a package though. I didn't know about the TA forums back then.

The Mahana is also close to the grocery store and other shops, just across the street.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to Stay in November 2013

The Starwood properties' rates I mentioned above is at the upper end of how much we want to spend.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to Stay in November 2013

In November I'd like South Maui. If you want a condo -- and we always do -- look at the listings here. I've never found a 'dog' in these: www.mauiownercondos.com You might like Polo Beach Club Great beach. You can walk to the Fairmont. It's not far from Shops At Wailea with several restaurants. Dining in all the Wailea hotels, fine dining at Capische? (I *cannot* remember that spelling!) I don't know if the new Hyatt Andaz will really be open this fall or not. The Waterfront is close -- in its' new location in Maalaea.

4. Re: Place to Stay in November 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 06:21