We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui honeymoon...questions!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Maui honeymoon...questions!

Hi,

I've been on VRBO and Homeaway.com scouring for condos and such. I found some really great looking condos that are a little frighteningly cheap? $900 / week for some. $1200/ week for others. Really must have an ocean front view. I'm wondering if I should skip to a hotel and just eat up the cost? we are renting a car and most likely will be enjoying the island and traveling so i find it silly to pay a lot for a place we'll hardly be at. But also want it to be romantic. Anyone stay at a $900 /week condo and it was romantic and such? I figure it'd be good to spend money on nice dinners out, excursions and trips. I bought my plane ticket and car rental, i'm up to $2k. If I could get away with $4k that'd be great. $5k might be a limit. I mean I have no credit card debt so I can take on a pounding if needed!... here's the place i had in mind

www.vrbo.com/240797…

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

Congrats on the wedding! We stay in south maui, so my impressions are based only on the link photos.....not in person knowledge. Romantic for me is the ability to easily revisit Maui again......so I could be very happy in that condo! Ocean views and decor seemed lovely to me. Some might feel it's small, but there was a useable kitchen and a lanai. While I prefer a one bedroom, for that price my husband and I would be just fine. I am saving the link! I hope others bounce in with more first hand info. Deb

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

Looks fine to me. It's a studio, so shouldn't run as much as a true 1 BR (which I would prefer). Says 3rd floor -- walkup? Says A/C, so that's good. Kahana is generally one of the less expensive areas -- on seawall, not beach.

I know more about South Maui. Someone will be along in a minute who knows West Maui!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

hmm good point that it's not a true 1BR. How is South Maui? I'm open for anything. And if you had anything you know that is available from October 14-21. Yea I love my A/C when I sleep, I know it's breezy and cool in HI. I actually lived on Oahu for 4 years and went to the big island for a week with the family. Military brat stationed at Hickam AFB. I LOVED oahu but she wanted to try something I haven't been to. I'm sure Maui will live up to the hype. I'm coming no matter what since i booked flights lol.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

I totally agree . . . even on my honeymoon, I didn't want to go overboard on accommodations, because we aren't in them that much! I would much rather spend my $$ on other things - activities & food, etc. The place you picked looks cute/nice to me. I have found in Maui that the most reasonable condos are in the Kihei area . . . I like the areas near the Kam beaches . . . you can search specific to area on vrbo.com if you are thinking you want a different area, though that certainly isn't necessary. Have a very happy honeymoon! :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,978 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

Pohailani is a decent complex. I would also check Maui Kai, Maui Kaanapali Villas (Best beach), Outrigger Royal Kahana, and Papakea. You are coming during a pretty slow eek-so also check agencies like Quam, Chasen Rainbows, Kaanapali Beachfront Rentals, and Harris Property Management.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 17:15
Iowa
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

My husband and I have noticed that when we have a full one bedroom with a living room, we never use the living room at all. A studio is fine for us. Unless you have times when one wants to sleep and the other to be active in the unit (or severe snoring problems!) you may be fine with a studio. As long as we have a nice lanai we don't need that extra indoor space at all.

I did read about AC being on a 2 hour timer in at least one unit at that complex. You may want to look into that. The views from those Kahana properties are spectacular, especially for the great price. Many, but not all, Kihei properties are across the street fro the ocean.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 17:24
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
769 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

As far as being romantic, you likely won't be "in your face" oceanfront like that at any hotel with probably the exceptions being the most expensive rooms at the Sheraton and also possibly the Wailea Marriott (although I'm less familiar with those). Many hotel rooms will also have less square footage than your studio would. If you're young and healthy, you can probably get away without having an elevator. You won't have all the amenities of a resort hotel so that's a trade-off but of course your direct view and price favor the condo. Some feel they have to go to the Four Seasons for a honeymoon while others are perfectly happy being "served" less. Different strokes for different folks and it's all good! Maybe six nights at the condo and a last night at one of the resort hotels? They usually let you use their pools before and after check-in time. Just a thought but really not necessary unless you want a taste of the resort experience.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

Agree with Teri about the one bedroom. I realized my main reason for wanting it is in case one of our adult kids wants to impromptu join us for part of the vacation. You would not have that situation.

We live on the lanai and appreciate the kitchen for simple snacks, breakfast, coffee and smoothies . I don't really cook full meals on vacation. I would be very happy at that condo. We had a four day honeymoon in Fairbanks! Lol.....that condo on Maui would have been a dream! You will be on the move, but still have a lovely place to relax at days end. Have fun! You arrive the day after we leave! Deb

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

I just delved into your chasenrainbows site

www.westmauicondos.com/property/maui-kai-703

This one's about 1400 which isn't bad. But I don't know if it's any better than what I was looking at other than a pool is available? Maybe it's more crowded cause it's more of a "hotel"? With 100s of rooms?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,418 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui honeymoon...questions!

I think it's a cute place! And I like the way you think too. I couldn't bring myself to spend mega bucks at a hotel, even if I COULD afford it! The money you save can be put to so many other uses.

Kihei has affordable places as well, but I don't see any reason to spend any more time looking as you have already found your "gem". What does your fiancee think of it?

Congratulations, and have a wonderful honeymoon!