We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of sandals?

chicago
Level Contributor
245 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What kind of sandals?

Hi I know this seems like a silly question but hey.... my husband never wears sandals I finally talked him into trying a leather type and he is ok with them but I don't think they would dry off.HI sounds like it's going to be wet most places you hike so that being said any recommendations of types of sandal that would be good for a non sandal wearing guy.For me I could hike Mount Everest in a pair of flip flops.I heard of a sandal called Keen but never actually worn those.Thank You ....only 73 more days to go :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of sandals?

We use Keens all the time for hiking...have a sole for hiking but breathe and dry.

For beach we do Sanuk yoga mat (flip flops). My uncle totally thought he would hate them..never thought he'd wear them, but you need them in the sand and he was so happy he had them. Keens are bad for beach..sand sticks in them with your foot, but you need something because the sand is hot!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,909 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of sandals?

You don't want to hike in flip flops. So easy to trip, no protection for your tootsies, horrible on your arches ... and they break easily.

I like ECCO. Expensive, but they will last you forever, and they are comfy and great for conforming to your feet - no blisters! Great arch support as well.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,398 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of sandals?

Keene, Sanuk, Teva, OluKai all have flip flop type "sandals" that are great for beach and/or hiking.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind of sandals?

I like the Keen sandals too. They actually cover your toes for a bit of extra protection. I will be borrowing my daughter's pair for the Pipiwai Trail so I don't have to take off my hiking shoes to cross those two streams near the end! I am always AMAZED at how many people I see on that hike with flip flops. I don't know how they do it! And hiking down to the blowhole too.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What kind of sandals?

Agreed Joan. I can pretty much do anything in flip flops because I live in them, but the Keens were awesome for walking through those streams. Walked straight across no problem and they tell people not to balance on the rocks because they are so slippery and you are a LONG way from help.

I do wear my flip flops for other ones, so you probably are shaking your head at me :). For me, it depends on difficulty and what you have to do whether I wear my Keens or flip flops.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What kind of sandals?

There are a number of water shoe options that are light weight and fast drying. I have a pair of Merrell Water Pro Manistee water shoes which I love. I like that they don't have any openings where small rocks can get in. You can also wear low profile socks with them and not look like a goofy goober.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What kind of sandals?

Nike Celso. It has a neoprene upper, dries quickly, very comfy.

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What kind of sandals?

My wife has raved about her Keen Newport H2's for years while I kept using my old-school Tevas.

As a present, she bought me the updated H2's for men.

These things are a revelation and are perfect knock-around Maui shoes. Comfortable, odor control, and versatile, I can't recommend these things enough. Got the best deal on Amazon but make sure he tires on a pair some place. Fit is of utmost importance. Mine were true to size, though.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What kind of sandals?

If they are within your budget, and you can find something suitable from their limited styles (my opinion), you'll never be sorry you bought a pair of Ecco's!!

I am currently wearing a pair of Teva's daily and like them A LOT too. I have also had good luck with Merrell and Keen.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 22:26
New England
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What kind of sandals?

I have an awesome pair of Chacos. They were expensive, but lasted over 5 years, They have a great tread for hiking. They made my Tevas feel like they were made of a used car tire. Chaco have great support for arches too.

http://www.chacos.com/US/en