We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

Asked this question in my other two "threads" I guess that is what they are called but I would like to ask the experts of the type of vehicle we would be better off with touring Maui and Kauai. I have booked a full size "impala" and a mini van. Worried that the van might give us room for luggage and be more comfortable to see -sitting higher etc especially for us girls in the back lol but worried about the window not being able to be put down. I tried asking the rental agencies and they cannot confirm if the windows go down? Does anyone know or have any suggestions for the best vehicle to rent - my sister and her husband are very tall so room for their legs is an issue.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

Hi OLala,

I answered on one of your other threads, but just to clarify ... is it two couples & no children, and are you planning to use your vehicle for the Hana4Less tour with their driver (5 adults in the vehicle on that day)?

Edited: 09 August 2013, 03:15
Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

Yes - just spoke with John at Hana4less and no kids - but we will be renting the vehicle for the full 7 nights on the Island but I have never rented a vehicle before and the guys think that it should be a van for comfort with luggage etc but I am worried that the windows don't come down behind the driver and front passenger.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

That is a tough choice ... esp. since you mention the need for leg room for the tall ones in the group. That to me indicates a van as best choice on Maui (can't imagine being the adult in the middle in the back seat of an Impala for the duration of the RTH). But then you have the potential issue with fixed windows in the van. Perhaps rent from Alamo ... at least that way when you pick up your vehicle, you get a choice of vehicles within the class.

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

What about going with a larger SUV instead of a van. This would give you the leg room, but being able to put the windows down. I would not want the second or back seat of the van touring. The windows are tinted and if they don't go down, you won't be able to see anything.

Level Contributor
138 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

You could just rent the van for the RTH day?

We rent the Dodge mini van when on Maui, it's for sure not a fixed window, but I'm not sure if they go all the way down? Good luck!!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

Even if the windows don't go down you can still see out them in a mini van. We had one for years and rented one on The Big Island because we had 7 people.Right now we have a standard SUV rented for Maui for the four of us but I've been thinking of changing to a minivan. We'll be driving 4 adults around with golf clubs so need the room.

Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

Yes I agree - we have decided to stay with the mini van - getting the van for alot cheaper than the suv - for the room you would have to get a full size or large suv as the standard one would not allow for any sort of large luggage. So van it is - thanks for all of your input as usual - great help.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

I would rent what ever vehicle is thinest.

Maui has the smallest , tightest, parking spots.

The current trend is to see the wider, bigger vehicles parking on angles to take up two parking spots.

This way they can open their door enough to get out of their vehicle.

If someone has a handicapped placard then bring it. The handicapped parking spots are wide and plentiful.

Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

Thank you so much - van it is. I am so excited.

10. Re: Car Rental - Type of Vehicle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:18