We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

Bothell, Washington
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

We are going to Maui next Friday. Ahhh!!!!

My youngest son is 5 and really loves turtles. My oldest is 9.

We stayed at Honua Kai 2 years ago, going back there again, we'll have a car.

I am interested in doing some type of boat tour to see turtles. We could always drive to a different part of the island. My husband loves to snorkel, I don't have to. My oldest didn't get the hang of it last time, might now, the 5 year old isn't interested. So, I'm wondering if there is a good tour that you would for sure see turtles? If it's one that does have snorkeling, do you have to get in? I could sit with my younger one while my husband/older son go in the water. Also, my older one is allergic to peanuts, so leary of what they are serving for meals on the boat (can always pack a meal for him).

We did do the Maui Ocean Center last time, and that is very up close, but more zoo-like. It is a great place, but I live in Seattle where we have an amazing aquarium...and MUCH cheaper and bigger. So, don't feel like we need to do that one again (except for that amazing gift shop!).

Any advice would be great!

7 days, 7 days.....

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Tom Barefoot's Tours
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Maui Reef Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,900 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

You could walk along the boardwalk in front of the Grand Wailea, head north to Ulua Beach, and go as far as you like. You can just watch and look for the turtles there, right from the shore.

In front of the Kihei Surfside, there is a rocky shoreline. I often watch the turtles right there as well.

If you are staying up the west side, when in Lahaina, drive down to the Mala Wharf. There may be lots of turtles there too. They like to feed there.

But as far as the snorkel tours go, no, you do not have to get in the water. You may not see any turtles though.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
dallas
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

pride of maui

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

You might consider this? Take a drive over to Napili beach, it's easy entry and I've always seen turtles there. Once you feel comfortable there, walk around to the next cove and I always see about 6 turtles there. Some people say the entry is difficult but if you just sit on the rocks wait for the waves to come in and just swim out, i think it's easier than walking on the beach with fins on. Plus, Napili is just a beautiful beach to spend the day at.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,714 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

At Napili Bay you can watch the turtles eating algae off the rocks on the south side of the bay. No need for the kids to get in the water.

This is the area that is in front of the Gazebo restaurant(breakfast and lunch).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
829 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

Bazza99 is referring to Honokeana Bay (see link below):

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29220-d63…

Good idea going to Napili Bay as it is easy entry. Stick to the rocky sides (I tend to see more on the right when facing the ocean). If no luck there, then head over to Honokeana Bay. It might be a little dicey getting your 5 year old to climb down the rocks and time the entry with the tide. But, you can still see plenty of turtles coming up for air by just watching on the ground. I would definitely take turns watching the little one to snorkel there, if your 5 yr old isn't feeling it. There is guaranteed turtle spotting @ Honokeana!

If you were to take a snorkel catamaran, consider Honolua Bay. You can access this by land too, but its a pretty far distance to swim and you go through some muck which kids probably wouldn't be too excited about. Be sure to do a morning tour though, as conditions are much better!

Edited: 09 August 2013, 22:56
Mentioned in this post
Honokeana Bay
Honokeana Bay
54 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honolua Bay
Honolua Bay
729 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
64,984 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

A really easy spot is Pohaku Park, also called S-Turns. It's in Kahana.

So. Calif.
Level Contributor
544 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

We always see a few that come and go at Black Rock in waist deep water sometimes. Just watch the crowds. If your son is willing to be in the water... Otherwise, the other suggestions to see them from afar are good

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

NAPILI and honokeana are not from afar. Wed turtles were visible at both close to shore and in the glorious h2o.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

If you want a boat trip, Four Winds has a glass bottom and a slide. Haven't been, but looks like a fun family outing for snorkelers and non snorkelers alike.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice on seeing turtles, have kids with us

S turns? we have those on the 405 :)

I must have ran by in the past too fast (crowd laughs) that I missed them.

Today, we walked by and lost count of the honu. Such a sweet spot.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 09:17