We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes or no shoes?

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Shoes or no shoes?

I'm debating whether to bring shoes or will sandles suffice? I plan on doing hikes and I know generally in strenuous hikes shoes may by advisable but since I never been to Maui I'm not sure how difficult the hikes are and I'm trying to

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

...Trying to pack light.

Typing on iPhone isn't fun . :(

Thanks

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,677 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

Aloha,

There are hikes of different levels of difficulty.

I would not wear sandals. I do wear walking shoes/sneaker-type shoes.

Do you have a particular hike in mind?

Aloha

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

We always wear running shoes on the plane....we pack flip flops and water shoes in our luggage. One of our first purchases in Hawaii is sandals lol. Stop at any ABC store for a pair. It's like a tradition now. Especially because when travelling in winter the sandal selection at home can be a bit sparse lol.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

I'd bring something that has a good hiking sole and that you can get wet (or muddy) like Keens. I wouldn't want to be limited on trail selection because I didn't have appropriate footwear. Knowing me, I'd go in my flip flops anyway and slip and fall or twist an ankle etc. Not a good vacation move.

Over the years, we've hiked several trails that get very muddy or have standing water depending on how long ago it rained somewhere upcountry. Solid footwear, in my opinion, is a must.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

It depends on which hikes and what type of sandals you're wearing. You could get away with a Keen type of sandal on the Pipiwai Trail, but I would recommend a hiking shoe for the Waihee Ridge Trail and trails on Haleakala. I wear my hiking shoes on the plane.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,099 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

Are you planning on taking your three year old on these hikes with you? You don't want to buy something brand new for the trip and have the potential for blisters. Have you got some at home already? I can't remember when you are leaving...

California
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

I usually bring my Keen hiking sandals, flip flops and tennis shoes. I hit a little at Royal Lahaina next to MKV.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

The only time I wear shoes is when I get on the airplane to go to the mainland, and only when it's past September and before May!! I hike in my Teva's.

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

I pretty much live in flip flops and bring one pair of nicer sandals for dinners. When we hike the Pipiwai Trail, I have worn Keens, which are nice for crossing the streams. DH got a pair of Merrells that were perfect too. Just be sure you break your shoes in first. Happy hiking!

Kelowna, British...
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shoes or no shoes?

Thanks, I'll wear running shoes on the plane and have them just in case if sandals (not flip flops) aren't comfortable enough for longer hikes. After all, I don't know what kind of hikes I'll be able to do with a 3 year old.

thanks for advise.

ps. leaving tomorrow morning :)