We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 3

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
85 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 3

What a fun but very long day. We hung out at the condo the whole morning, doing not much of anything at all. The kiddo went out snorkeling in front with our friend who likes to go out pretty far and see the far reef where turtles congregate. It is not for everyone (including me) but she was up for it and the water was amazing today. I spent some time looking online and planning out a few destinations for our upcountry adventure.

We packed up and headed out about 12 noon for Paia and the Fish Market. It was ok but our friends really wanted to go. I had fried shrimp and a Caesar salad, and everyone else seemed to like their meals. We shopped around for just a few minutes, and then headed up Baldwin Ave to Makawao. There we parked, visited T Komoda's (came home with coconut pie and some stick donuts), and hung around a beautiful art gallery where the owner was so kind and welcoming to all the kids. It is a charming town and we all agreed we enjoyed stopping there.

From there we headed to the Surfing Goat Dairy. We did not plan to tour; we just let the kids run around, feed the goats (a bag of feed is $1), and we bought a flight of cheese samples for the adults to share, which was $12. We also splurged on a couple of cheese/chocolate truffles for $2.50 each which is crazy, but they were very good.

From there we debated going back to Makawao and visiting Oprah's house, but besides the fact that it makes us crazy people, we decided we really didn't have time to do that and make it up to the crater before dark. So we headed up the mountain to the lower visitor center, where it was 30 degrees cooler than most of Maui. Seriously, however cold you think it is up there, take that times two. It is bloody cold, and even the husbands that are perpetually hot were freezing and had no problem admitting it.

Our final stop was the upper visitor center for the sunset. The wind was blowing and even though we had multiple layers of jeans and sweatshirts, it was just too cold to stay outside for long. We took refuge in the wind shelter at the top that has 360 degree views of the mountain. We had our picnic lunch in there, and ventured out briefly for picture taking and seeing the sunset from the ridge. It really is great, and the colors were just as great for the next 10 minutes or so after the actual dropping of the sun below the horizon.

By then it was about 7:15 and so we headed out for the 2 hour drive home. It was a long day but we all agreed it was a great adventure. The destinations were great, but just as great was enjoying the countryside and views as we drove through these rural parts of Maui that are filled with interesting things to see. The rolling hills, lush greenery, neat views of west Maui and Kahalui below and the volcano above, cows and horses, and interesting buildings make for a fun day. We used maps and Apple Maps quite a bit and did just fine as these are all pretty small roads and could be a problem for the navigationally challenged. But we did just fine.

Tomorrow is a laid back day at Napili Bay. We plan to rent a SUP and share it among our 3 families plus another family we met 2 years ago from Canada, who returned to our condos again this year. Tomorrow night we have reservations at Merriman's for us adults while the older kids babysit the younger ones. I have been there once before and can't wait to go back. I know I will get sticker shock again (coffee is $10? really?) but the food and atmosphere are just so great.

Aloha!! Glad you are all enjoying these reports. I have learned a lot from so many on TA so I am happy to share.

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Great report! Thank you so much for sharing.

Have you done the sunrise at Haleakula before? If so did you prefer the sunrise or the sunset better??

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Wonderful day UpCountry and ending with that gorgeous sunset. The cold at sunset when the wind is blowing can chill you to the bone. Glad you had such a wonderful day. Enjoy SUP and Merrimans.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,386 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Yes after doing sunrise in the past and freezing, I am perfectly fine with just seeing it during the day now! Glad you are having so much fun. Thanks for sharing!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Sounds like you enjoyed Upcountry as much as we do! That area is so special.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 3

We love Upcountry as well. We went to see Oparah's house last year and it is really something. To have that view would be wonderful. We also visited the Lavendar Farm which we really enjoyed. We always take a lunch to eat there and then go and have a Lavendar Scone and Lavendar Tea, Ooooh so great. We also went to the Winery and the General Store across the road.

We went to the Sunrise one year but took the tour as I am a big chichen when it comes to driving in the mountains and I am from western Canada near the Rockies. I was glad we took the tour as when we were coming down a truck had crashed into the side of the mountain and was partly turned over on its side. That did it for me so if we go again I am sure it will be a tour.

Keep writing your reports as it is always fun to see what other people enjoy. I can hardly wait until November when we will be there.

Alberta Travelbug

Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Very nice! It sounds like a lot of fun! :).

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 3

I am very much enjoying your reports! We will be on Haleakaka for sunset this year and I am very curious to see how cold this Fairbanks raised, 50 year Alaskan is going to feel up there! I am coming prepared thanks to reports like yours. My "hope to do" also includes the Lavendar Farm!

Have fun SUP today and enjoy your dinner! Deb

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Another great read! Glad I found it before I head out the door to deliver my papers!

I had a giggle reading about the husbands admitting to the cold up Haleakala. It is a lot worse when the wind picks up, that is for sure!

Thanks again for taking the time to write while you are having such a fantastic holiday!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
119 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Thanks for posting your trip reports. I am really enjoying them.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 3

Sounds like another wonderful day in paradise!

We're doing sunset next year. Did the sunrise a couple of times and that's just too early to get up even with jetlag.

Yes, I bring gloves and a cap to Hawaii for the cold. Just seems odd to need those items.