We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to drop off daughters while we hike?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
where to drop off daughters while we hike?

Okay...I know that sounds really bad....but my oldest is almost 18 and the youngest is almost 13.

Hubby and I would like to hike the Waihee (sp?) Ridge Trail and the girls do not. We would leave them in the condo, but we want to hit up some other places while out that way..and for that we want them with us.

So...are any stores open early??? Malls? Libraries? Any other suggestions???

I do not want to leave them in a hot car, is there a lot of shade in the trail parking lot where they could sit and read?? Would that be safe??

Parks nearby that are safe and have a lot of people around? (I'd feel better if there were lots of others around instead of them being by themselves).

Can I make this work??

Thanks.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

I wouldn't leave them in the parking lot at the start of the Waihee Ridge Trail because it's pretty isolated. Hikers do come and go, but it's not somewhere that you'd want to wait for a couple of hours. Leaving them elsewhere is going to mean a fairly long wait (if you can find somewhere that you're comfortable leaving them). It will likely be somewhere in Kahului, and from there it's at least a 20 minute drive to the trail head, then a couple of hours of hiking ... probably a wait of 3-4 hours for them.

If the girls are used to hiking, I would encourage them to join you. We saw several families doing the hike and while it is somewhat strenuous going up, the kids were making it to the top ... often more easily than the parents :)

Here's where the trailhead is: http://goo.gl/maps/2YTcx

California
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

Isn't there a mall in Kahului? I would guess there would be a Starbucks that they could hang out in until the mall opens and then they could walk around together at the mall.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

There's a movie theatre in the mall. I checked show times for tomorrow, as an example and the earliest movie is 10:00 a.m. There's also a Starbucks, McDonalds, Forever 21, etc. etc. If they're good kids and you would trust them to go to your mall/the movies at home without you, I would think they would be okay there for a few hours. Just give them the talk and you might even want to go in with them and locate the security desk, just in case they feel uncomfortable about anything.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

The closest thing would be the Mall and there is a coffee shop at the corner of the entrance.

From the Mall to trail head will take 30 minutes, it took us 31/2 hours to hike the trail and we were on hurry. We are seniors so you will probably be faster. So 4 1/2 to 5 hours...from mall to hike and back.

No shade at the trail head parking lot and it is very isolated.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

OK...if the girls are resposible drop them off here http://www.queenkaahumanucenter.com/ lovely mall with lots of places for them to explore and they will not miss you for a few hours. Give the 18 yr old the lead...this kind of thing "grows" our kids!

Enjoy your hike!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

"Can I make this work??" you bet. tell them to get off their butts and join in. they may "want too" but YOU provided them the chance to experience some of the most beautiful scenery around. You'll be surprised, years later they will be speaking of the hike they almost never went on. Trust me i know. been there done that! When our kids get together and we speak of vacations those activities that they balked at almost always seem to be the ones that get talked of fondly.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,519 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

""Can I make this work??" you bet. tell them to get off their butts and join in. they may "want too" but YOU provided them the chance to experience some of the most beautiful scenery around. You'll be surprised, years later they will be speaking of the hike they almost never went on. Trust me i know. been there done that! When our kids get together and we speak of vacations those activities that they balked at almost always seem to be the ones that get talked of fondly."

My thoughts exactly!

While I can't speak about that particular hike, I think it is important to get the kids involved especially considering you have plans after the hike.

I've driven the road. There is no place on the entire isolated one lane road that I would leave my kids.

You either have to leave them at the condo, in Lahaina or a mall in Kahului.

I remember the first time I took my granddaughter (about 6 years old then) on the Diamond Head Hike and the Makapuu Lighthouse hike (both on Oahu). She also balked about doing the hikes, but ended up really liking them.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 03:45
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

I can see both sides...........take the girls, make 'em suck it up...........or forego a battle and drop them at Queen K.

Ruby's and Koho's are both open for breakfast at the mall. The stores don't open until around 9:30 to 10, but they could still wander, and the mall has free wifi. There are some nice seating areas, and security there too.

The hike could be such a great memory. Yeah, going along with the old folks isn't always teens' idea of fun, but sometimes it becomes such a great experience.

Tough call-and I'm glad it's not mine. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

Lol...you are all too funny. I have made the kids do more hikes than they have ever wanted to. All the way down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back just a few months ago. During that National Park road trip we hiked over 80 miles.

The deal was that there would be no complaints from them if when we got to Hawaii we wouldn't make them hike.

Well we have already had them over an hour on the Sliding Sands Trail, we did Twin Falls, walked to the GW and back from the Kehei Surfside...and still have the State Park in Hana and Pipiwa Trail in our future. So....that's why I was not going to drag them on this one....I am pushing my luck as it is...lol.

I think we have decided to forgo this hike until another visit. We still have so much to do in central and south Maui and only have 2 days left here before we move on to other parys of the island..

We are also enjoying our condo so much I don't want to be gone all of the next 2 days. We will still be doing Iao State Park, the swap meet, shopping again in Kahului, and La Perouse Bay. (Also still tons of snorkeling depending on ocean conditions).

We can wait until next time to do the hike. Thanks everyone!!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,519 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where to drop off daughters while we hike?

After your explanation, you make sense!