We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

j g
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

Hey everyone, husband and I are heading to Maui on Sunday for 6 days. We are dying to see Volcano National Park on the Big Island and are hoping to make a day trip out of this.. but I can't find a tour that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Has anybody done this on their own? Or know what the best way to go about travelling to the Big Island and seeing the volcano's would be?

I'd really appreciate your help!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

You could take an early flight over, rent a car, and take a late flight back. Look at Hawaiian Airlines. You're probably going to have to Maui-Honolulu-Hilo.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

Is it active lava that you're anxious to see? If so, there are 3 options once you are on the BI - a long hike (guided), helicopter tour, or boat tour (not recommended). Otherwise, going to VNP you'll see dried lava beds in craters, steam vents, a lava tube, lava fields, gasses spewing out of Halema`uma`u crater (if you're there after dark you can see the glow from lava from the crater - from the viewing area at Jaggar Museum).

Even though the cost of the air tour from Maui to the BI is expensive, it might be your best option cost-wise and time-wise if seeing active lava is your priority.

With a 6 day stay on Maui, I would consider a day trip up Haleakala instead, with some hiking up there. Even though it's a dormant volcano, it's spectacular. On a future trip, I would devote all of your time to the BI, or at least a couple of days to the east side (where VNP is).

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

Too late for this but for anyone else reading the thread if you only have a week or so then why not start your trip by flying into Hilo, spend the first night near the park (you can see the glow at night that way) , go to the park the next morning then fly to your final destination island? Trying to get to the BI from Maui with only 6 nights is going to be a challenge. You are going to spend precious hours getting to the airport, flying, getting a car, dropping off the car, flying back then driving back to your room.

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

Stay in Maui and see Haleakala and hike around La Perouse Bay lava fields, we love the setting where lava meets the beautiful blue water.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

Hope OP comes back and says what they end up doing. Flying to Hilo (35 mins. each way) and renting a car, driving to the park, seems easiest. Too bad they waited until the last minute to ask about options..

Edited: 21 August 2013, 13:08
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

Sutter: It's not really that easy if they have to connect in Honolulu (I don't think Hawaiian has non-stop flights OGG>ITO and return that would allow them enough time on the BI to warrant going), plus when you consider the waiting time at OGG and ITO prior to flights - all that to not see active lava - unless they do a long hike or a heli tour once there (adding a lot more expense to the trip.)

Edited: 21 August 2013, 13:17
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

Actually Susan there is a once a day HA flight OGG to ITO (we took it in 2011) leaves at 9:24 AM. Books up fast though.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

I saw that BB, thought it would be a bit late as that would get you to VNP by about 11:15-11:30 ... but maybe a better option than going earlier on a connecting flight?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

Hubby & I went to Hawaii on our anniversary.....We stayed in Honolulu & done an island hop to the Volcano Park for the day....we flew out early stayed at the Volcano Park for the majority of the day, they drove around the island....we took the latest flight we could get back to Honolulu.....we were exhausted! But, we had a great time...........we'd do it again in a heart beat. The Volcano Park is amazing and really awesome to see......it's not every day you have the opportunity to see a volcano!!

ENJOY!!!! ENJOY!!! ENJOY!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Maui..but dying to see Volcano National Park!

The tours are expensive. But at this late date, going on your own will be, too ... given the cost of the flights. (Remember, you're talking about a round-trip interisland flight for 2 people - so it will cost you!) It's much easier to fly to Hilo from Honolulu ... but it can be done from Maui on your own.