We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

Another great day in Hana.

We relaxed for the morning...first time all trip where we weren't wanting to get somewhere early. We didn't really sleep in but had a lazy morning. Pancakes for breakfast, reading, etc. It was really nice.

Late morning we headed for Waianapanapa State Park. Okay....so I do not have any words left. This is the most beautiful place I have ever been to...and I've been to a lot of beautiful places. I am awestruck!!!

We started off walking through the lava tube just to the right of the beach. Nice and cool in there, with great photo ops with the surf crashing through the other end. We played at the beach for a while...not too deep though...just to our knees. The rolling rocks hitting your feet hurt, so we didn't play long.

I was looking for the caves in the wrong place. We ended up taking the Coastal Trail for quite a long ways before we decided it wasn't going to take us to the caves...lol. However, the scenery on this trail is outstanding.

We went back to get cooled off in the lava tube, then had a picnic lunch in the shade of the trees. So the caves were so close to us all along and we didn't even know it. I had read that the entrance was between some thickets...and that we would see some stairs inside the thickets. Well we must have looked pretty foolish peeking and digging between the thickets to find the stairs...lol. We thought the path was off the trail from the beach....it is NOT!!!

So just past our picnic table, on the far side of a parking lot there is a great big sign...saying caves. Duh!!!! The entrance is not little or hidden...but very obvious. The girls had had enough so they stayed in the shade with a big bag of Maui chips, and off we went.

The walk to the cave pool takes about 3 minutes. Lots of people were swimming...so my husband jumped in. I think this is spring fed, so hopefully no lepto here...as his head went under. Everyine who jumped in said the same thing....wow...that is cold!!!

When we got back and told the girls about it, the 12 year old wanted to go...so hubby went back with her. She went in as well, but walked in so as not to put her head under. (We had the talk yesterday about not puting our heads under at Oheo Gulch).

We walked over to the blowhole area...but it was dry. But what surprised me was the rock cliff jumpers. There is this rocky island just off shore. People were swimming out there..climbing up...way up..onto this skinny spire...then jumping into the ocean. Whoa....I am somewhat adventurous but I wouldn't be doing that.

We absolutely loved this area...and we spent several hours here. I want to forever etch this beauty into my brain. It will become my "happy place".

We stopped to pick up some more Shaka Pops and spent the evening at our 'home'.

So...I think it's safe now to tell you where we stayed...lol. It is a great little cottage...but more like a beautiful little house. Two bedroom, washer/dryer, new bath and kitchen, screened porch...lovely. It is from Hana Paradise Cottages and because we spent 3 nights the price was $175.00 per night..no cleaning fee. It is extremely clean and well appointed...I highly recommend it. There was a plate of fresh fruit and homemade banana bread waiting for us. No a/c here though, so we made good use of fans.

Well...this is our last nigjt in Hana...wish us luck for the drive back. My hubby is already starting to get nervous about it..lol.

However we felt about the drive here...I am so glad we came...we really love Hana. So many say that it is not the town/area that is the draw, but the road. I feel completely opposite. We did not like the road...but loved this whole area.

Our vacation is now at the halfway mark, which is crazy as it seems like we have done so much in our first 10 days.

One exteme to the other...tomorrow we are off to the Grand Wailia for a night.

Until tomorrow...

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,684 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

Thanks for yet another report that transports me to Maui! I think I will be sadder than you when you head home!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,151 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

I feel the same as you do about RTH vs being in Hana. I don't like the parts where it is dark and closed-in, with rock cliffs and vegetation so close to the road. Those cottages look like a nice reward at the end, however. How nice to explore the lovely area leisurely.

Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

Ahhh... The Grand Wailea! My daughter spent a week there in April on her honeymoon. It sounds like you are having an excellent time... aloha and let us know how you like the GW. :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
60,016 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

I am so glad you enjoyed Waianapanapa! It and Keanae are two of my favs. There's a "wild peace" at both, to me.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

The first time I saw Wa'ianapanapa State Park and its black sand beach, I also was so amazed at the sheer, intense beauty. We sat on the beach, after being run over by the pounding, wild, crazy waves and just stared in awe. It honestly was a spiritual moment where I was hit by how small I really am in the scope of the world. Every time I go there I feel this way. I am glad you were careful with those waves cause they can really come up high unexpectedly! We sit in our chairs way back by the greenery and picnic safely.......

My husband feels the same way you do about the drive.......not for him. I love driving it until Hana and then I do not like how much narrower the roads feels to me. So, our 23 year old son is joining us the last week of 18 nights in a month and we hope to take him as far as the black sand beach! My husband now prefers stopping at Ke'anae........LOL!!! As long as I get the banana bread, I am happy. He wants our son to see it bad enough to endure a drive he does not enjoy! We will see.....

So now we are on to GW and that is a place I only go in trip reports! Too cheap and our kids are grown ups! Have a total blast today! Deb

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

Oh..loved hearing about Hana. We have been many times but always day trips.. waiting to stay a spell there.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,845 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

So glad you are enjoying your Hana stay. I too have never had the pleasure of an overnight stay, just a bunch of day trips. Sounds awesome, thanks for reporting!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

Great reports and glad you enjoyed the trip to Hana, or should I say Hana and area after the trip there. We have seen the black sand beach and lava tube. The park is beautiful but we were on a tour so not enough time. The cottages sound great and I have looked at accommodations there but always changed my mind on account of the road to get there.

We would like to drive this year but I am a nervous passenger and would probably be ok getting there as you are on the inside of the mountain. Can anyone tell me if there is any really scary spots coming back on the costal side. The tour we took continued on the back road and up to the winery so we didn't experience coming back on the RTH. I am just afraid I would make my husband crazy and he sometimes to get sick on windy roads (mostly with altitude) and then I might have to drive. Should we drive or take another tour? I guess you would have to know me to realize how scared I get in the mountains and adding the coastal cliffs and oneway bridges. Yes I know we live close to the mountains living in Alberta but I usually do not drive through them.

Alberta Travelbug

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

Yup loving your reports!

You make the black sand beach at Hana sound so good I would really like to see this but hate to Make my husband drive the RTH I am not a nervous passenger so I would get to enjoy the scenery but he wouldn't and he will get very cranky if people start riding his tail and we try to make Maui all about relaxation he has a pretty high stress job.

I will definitely have to ponder on this some more....

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,958 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day10

Thanks for sharing! Loving your reports. I think the next time we do RTH we will be doing an overnight. It seems much more relaxing!