We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

Grass Valley, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

Booked rental car in April for an August 23rd trip.

April 24th - $655

May 16th - $564

June 18th - $417

July 15 - Price went up :-(

August 21st - $338!!!

Score!!!

Tom & Susan

Newcastle, Ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

Absolutely fantastic. We are going to Hawaii in January and have booked our rentals - what was your plan - do you check monthly - weekly? When the price went down each month I am guessing that you would book the reduced rate and then cancel the more expensive one ? Did you call the company or just do everything on line - just curious for some insight as to get the best rate going. Thanks for any suggestions.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

You did well.

FYI - Costco rates are only now going down to the rates I got three months ago from Discount Hawaii Cars Rentals - for November on Maui. I am definitely anticipating getting an even better rate as time draws nearer, but for now? Discount has been hundreds cheaper. They and Costco are the sites I watch the most.

If you don't know them, they are a highly reputable company.

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/index.shtml

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
424 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

OLala021 - I have been checking Costco for a car rental price since late May and for Dec 28-Jan4 they have been completely sold out the entire time. I hope you are going after the holiday rush & can get a deal!! :)

I can honestly say if they are sold out & you have a a reservation through Costco Travel, Costco is very accomodating if you call them to check pricing. We went to Oahu in mid January 2013 and I got a 1 week rental of an Equinox for $238 through Costco.

Grass Valley, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

OLala021 - I set a calendar reminder to check monthly. Yes, I book the new rate and then cancel the original reservation.

mezzsop - yes, I have used discounthawaiicarrental on the past. Costco was cheaper than them last year, so I stopped using them. I think if you watch both sites you may be able to shave a little more off the total each time you rebook.

When all is said and done, I reduced my car rental by almost 50% or $300 if you prefer. I'll chart my results again next year to determine if I can replicate the pricing pattern. This may shed some light on when the rental companies drop their rates :-)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,053 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

Seasonal differences are in play. Better rates for those coming in off-seasons. Not so great for those of us on Maui in February or mid-summer. The most useful posts give us rental source, arrival and departure dates, and total cost per day including taxes and fees.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
339 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

Costco weekly rental thru Budget for September 25th thru 30th Economy Car $105.00. That's Cheap!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
217 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

That's a huge difference and savings!

Just curious what level car do you usually rent? Currently we are renting a 'standard' car but there are good deals on the lower classes too so not sure what we should go with or if one is better on the island?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

I no longer believe much in seasonal rates for rental cars. of course xmas, spring break are likely exceptions. Had the same experience as Tom, last summer, last Feb (for my parents) and again for the past 18 days. Started checking about 4 months out and saw the same 50% +/- rate drop. The rate bottomed out twice in 4 months.

I do think you need to check more than once a month. Rates can drop to the bottom and go back up in a matter of days. It's all about checking often.

Discounthawaii has never been close to as low as Costco in the past 3 rentals. Even when I told them what Costco was quoting they could not go lower.

This time I did one better. we don't care about the free 2nd driver. 4 days prior to departure, I gave Priceline a much lower big than what I had reserved with Costco and they accepted a bid about 70% less than they (Priceline) had been "suggesting" for months.

Now where is it I'm supposed to return this thing.....

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,126 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

Patrick,

Wasn't that the deal that required you to return the car to Hilo?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costco Travel Does it again! (Rental Car)

I agree that rates will go down for summer travel. Ours did by 50%. Booked in May for $350 and by July it was down to $175 for a week, standard size car for our July 31st arrival.