We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching

We will be in maui for only 4 days the first week of march and want to do some whale watching.

Does anyone have a company they would recommend? How long do these trips usually last?

Because its spring break we are limited to a week and we want to spend a couple of days at the

Outrigger at Waikiki where we were last May.

Thanks

Pam

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching

The average whale watch trip is two hours.

Most boats do their very best and give good commentary.

My question to you is how comfortable are you on a boat. Then we can recommend that size of boat.

I love departing from Lahaina Harbor- the old Whaling Capital. So scenic.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching

I'm fine on boats. I guess I would feel more comfortable on something bigger than a row boat or a ski boat, more like something that would hold....10-20 people. Like a large cabin cruiser. Because we are so limited in

Time, two hours would be great. We are kind of looking at I think Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei.

Pam

Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching

We have used Blue Water Rafting quite a few times. They leave from the Kihei boat ramp so it is very convenient. They use zodiac boats which are a lot of fun. They are very fast and they can get from one point to another very quickly. They can get a little bumpy, but if this doesn't bother you I think you would enjoy them very much.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching

Thanks. I see you're from Michigan, I was going to say one of the smaller boats, not that huge one, that goes from mackinaw city to the island but I figured no one would know. I grew up with a cottage up north so am

Used to boats.

I wonder when the whales give birth? I've heard you don't want o get too close then, both for the safety of

The whale and also because that's when sharks hover around. Any truth to that?

Pam

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching

You want a larger boat so someone suggests a Zodiac? Well, to each their own. Late last January, we purposefully took the sunrise cruise from Lahaina, with Pacific Whale Foundation, for smaller crowds and calmer seas. Oh, and slightly lower cost. But had to get up quite early. Had seen here posts about the PWF having large crowds on their large catamarans (can take up to 150 people), but on our sunrise cruise there were just over 40 people (looked like a large group waiting for the next trip after ours). PWF and others have trips out of Maalea Harbor, but heard that area gets more wind and, thus, choppier seas. We did see (and hear, on their underwater microphone), several whales. All boats have to stay some distance from whales.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 14:58
Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching

The Blue Water rafts will hold up to 24 people which is around the size Pam was looking for. Due to the size of the boat you can see the whales no matter which side they are on. No need moving from one side to the other. If I remember right it was about $35.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching

Pam, not to get off subject but with just a short amount of time are you sure you want to split two islands in one week? We honeymooned at Outrigger main Waikiki ,but once we went to Maui we never looked back. Sorry, just thought I would put it out there. Lol

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching

I know. At first we were just going to Maui but my husband really likes the Outrigger, and truth to tell

so did I so I said would you want to split it with 4 days (5 night) in Maui and 2 nights back at the

Outrigger and somehow it became 4 nights and 3 nights. There's a chance I can add an extra night

but until he gets his teaching schedule (which won'thappen until mid December) we just won't know.

I would love to be able to come back to Hawaii every other year but we haven't been back to Europe in

10 years and there's Scotland and Yorkshire on the horizon and a Rhine river cruise.....maybe I can talk

one of my girlfriends who are retired to go with me between other trips while he's stuck in the classroom!

Edited: 23 August 2013, 15:44
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watching

From a bird's eye view of the posts over the years ... Trilogy catamaran whale watching comes out on top for recommendations. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/ Paragon and Gemini are recommended as well. Blue Water Rafting ... tough on your back and no "bathrooms" - but popular. Avoid - would be Pacific Whale Foundation.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale watching

Sorry, #9, I realize you're a desination expert, but I would disagree with a blanket "avoid." We had a good experience with PWF, and if you say "avoid," you should give details (and state if it's based on firsthand experience), not just be like those who say "avoid" or "don't fly" on the air travel section. I have no connection at all with the PWF and haven't gone with others, but our experience was good (I would personally return with them, though only with the sunrise trip). The other companies may also be good. If I knew a company engaged in unsafe or environmentally harmful practices, I might say outright avoid.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 18:22