We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Needed in Maui?

New York
Level Contributor
163 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Needed in Maui?

Is a rental car needed in Maui? Staying at the Hyatt and considering renting for 1 day to see sunrise at Haleakala and using shuttle to/from airport. We will be there 6 days but just not sure it is worth renting the entire time as I will have to pay for parking. Cost of rental car is $300 + 70 in parking fees. Plan on spending most of our time at the resort and doing watersports which I assume we can walk to from the hotel. Any comments?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

I think most people here if not everyone will recommend renting a car for your entire time on the island to allow you to explore and see all the beauty that is Maui., There's more to Maui than the Hyatt...

Edited: 23 August 2013, 15:59
Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
899 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

We always get a car. Maui has a lot to offer. The shuttle from OGG to the Hyatt will run about $55 per person one way (not including tip). Valet parking at the Hyatt is $20 a day or self-park at $14. I am not sure there would be a significant cost savings versus not getting a car.

I think the Hyatt has a rental car agency at the Hotel, so you might look into renting a car for a couple of days. We just love the freedom of having a car. We stay at the Outrigger Royal Kahana, which has free parking.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
899 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

I was looking up some information and timed out - sorry. Hertz has a rental car counter in the Hyatt if you do decide to rent a car for a couple of days.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,654 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

I'm pretty sure you can rent a small car for less than $50/day unless you are coming at Christmas. You will be very limited in seeing the island, trying different restaurants and beaches, etc. without a car. (You might save enough to pay for the car by just not eating in Tourist Land for six days.)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

Don't know when your trip is but we rented a midsize for 9 days in June with Enterprise for $174 total. We went though Discount Hawaii Car Rental which is a broker that many of us on here have used.

Most people rent a car for the whole trip but I guess if you don't plan on the leaving the Ka'anapali Resort area then maybe you can do without one or just rent for a day, but check the shuttle prices they are not cheap .

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

We rented a car while staying down the beach at Kaanapali Shores and were glad we did, but maybe you'd just stay at the same place for days at a time. We did not. Be sure to get the phone number for Haleakala weather reports-- no use heading out in the wee hours of the morning if it'll be all clouded over. We thought of going for sunrise, or even sunset, but ended up going in the afternoon as part of a longer drive. Visibility wasn't great, and I hate the slow drive up the mountain due to other traffic (I've done it twice; obviously varies by day). We were advised that, if we went for sunrise, to arrive early to get parking. Enjoy your trip!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

Renting a compact car will be very handy and should be less than $20 a day. Parking at the Hyatt is pretty limited and with construction there is probably even less.

Hyatt is serviced by the free Kaanapali Resort trolley and that will get you around the immediate area for free.

From the Hyatt you can walk to the jet ski and para sail and watch the paddling regattas on some weekends.

New York
Level Contributor
163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

Thanks for the responses after checking shuttle prices I have reserved rental car for entire time.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,413 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car Needed in Maui?

Great idea. Enjoy Maui

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu