We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

Hi

We will be in Maui over Thanksgiving week with an almost 3 year old and 11 month old. Looking for activity suggestions beyond the beach - the only one that I have on my list is the ocean center (aquarium?). We are staying in a house rental via vbro in Lahaina. We will have a rental car as well.

As for beach - what beach would you recommend for little ones in that area?

Also, we we thinking we should pre-order a turkey as we hope for a fresh/organic one - any suggestions? And general suggestions for food shopping/fresh seafood to prepare at home? Stores/farmers markets??

Thanks

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

Aloha. Is your house rental in Lahaina Town? Or might it be in one of the other areas on the west side which all have a "Lahaina" address -- Ka'anapali, Honokowai, Kahana, Napili, Kapalua? Then we will know what nearby beaches to suggest.

As for turkey, there is an organic market in Honokowai. You could also try Maui Prime Fine Foods which is located near the Star Noodle restaurant in Lahaina:

mauiprime.com

Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

Thanks for the food info. I don't think it is Lahaina town (my sister booked it). The address (without house number) is Hui Rd E Lahaina. When i look at the property website it says Napili area/town. Does this help re: area? Thanks so much.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

Ah yes, Napili. A wonderful location. Napili Bay has a great beach for little ones.

I got to thinking about the organic market in Honokowai -- they might be just vegetarian. But it's a real nice little place with an outdoor farmers market MWF.

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

Baby Beach is great for little ones, it features a break wall and coral that keep the waves down, so it is very calm for little ones to enter the water. It is located in Lahaina just off of Front Street.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

for fresh seafood don't miss The Fish Market just below you at 3600 Lower Honoapiilani Rd.

Dave

Iowa
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

You might also try Honokowai Beach Park - across from the Fish Market and Farmers Market. The beach there has a lava rock shelf. When we visited the waves broke on the rocks and then created very shallow pools on the beach with little "waterfalls" over the rocks. Obviously conditions will vary, and I don't know if this is the norm. When we visited in January there were several seemingly local families with young children and toddlers enjoying the water here. Looked like they were having lots of fun!

Happy travels, hope you enjoy your American Thanksgiving feast! BTW - the original Thanksgiving more likely had fish rather than turkey anyway, so... if you don't find your fresh organic turkey, Dave's suggestion is great too!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

You can pre-order turkey from Safeway, call and check about organic.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

I had mentioned ordering from Maui Prime because they advertise organic turkey.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,898 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

Hui Road E is a residential area. This will be--should be--a nice, quiet area for you. Residents don't tolerate loud party type rentals for long, LOL.

Honokowai Park is a good rec. Also, drive south of Lahaina town to Laniupoko Beach Park. Nice beach area, a tidal pool that is partially walled in, and a great place to watch surfers if there's any surf.

Maui Prime is a great rec, but they will be pricey. Foodland Farms also carries organic turkeys at the holidays, and though pricey, not near what Maui Prime or Whole Foods charges.

There are free hula shows down at Whaler's Village. These would be fun for the kids and you too!

Edited: 25 August 2013, 18:49
Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui with toddler, food shopping & thanksgiving turkey quest

Fantastic information everyone - thanks so much. We are very excited (I'm an expat American living Down Under and haven't had a proper Thanksgiving in years...maybe we will have to do 2 - one turkey and one fish).