We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costco Car Rental

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Topic
Costco Car Rental

Can someone tell me where you get a coupon when booking through Costco. I have never booked through Costco as it always seems more expensive. Right now I am sitting at 699.99 through DHCR for three weeks. I just noticed somebody got 640.00 in 2014. Is it because we are from Canada that it seems so much more? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also has anyone used Hotwire.com. I can get it there at about 20.00 cheaper but from what I can see you have to put a deposit down. Will they let you out of that contract if you find something cheaper. With DHCR you can book another car and cancel the higher one. Just wondering. Thanks.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Costco Car Rental

Hi Cheryl - not sure if it's different for Canadians, but when I book through Costco, there is no coupon. Go to Costco.com and click on "Travel" from the top menu bar. That will take you to their Travel page, where you can select vacation packages, cruises or rental cars. Select rental cars and plug in the dates and times for pick up and return, and your airport code, and it will produce a grid of all of the companies they use, with the prices for each size of car. That can all be done without creating a Costco travel account or logging in, but you will need to do both to reserve the car.

Good luck!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Costco Car Rental

First off you need to have an executive membership with Costco. Go to costco.ca then log in under your account. Find member services and car rentals will be there. You can't get rental car discounts through Costco in Canada unless you have an executive membership. Hope this helps!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Costco Car Rental

Thanks Chrissy for the info. We have the Executive membership but I wasn't logging in and I was going to Costco.com. Daw! it makes sense to use Costco.ca and to sign in. Do you find it cheaper than HDCR?

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costco Car Rental

I've been checking both. With Canadian costco you only get a choice between Avis and Budget. Right now for my dates Budget through Costco is within a couple of dollars of my Thrifty rental through DHCR but my DHCR reservation allows 2 extra drivers at no cost. Avis through Costco is quite a bit more. We have 4 adults going so having three drivers is pretty important to me. Right now I have a standard SUV reserved with Thrifty for 640.00 with the two extra drivers for 10 days. I'm pretty sure it will go down more before January but I'll keep checking with both DHCR and Costco. Oh and one other thing....when checking prices through Costco check off to show prices in US dollars and not Canadian dollars to have a better comparison with DHCR.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costco Car Rental

You can book through Costco.com. I do it all the time and our membership is still Canadian, for various reasons. I was just dealing with them again last week. No problems whatsoever. Then you have access to all rental choices as well.

I usually look at Hotwire a couple of weeks before we need the car. I check their prices and then put in a NYOP on Priceline at 60% less. And I usually get it or something very close. It may take a few days, but I'm fairly tenacious....

Yup - DHCR and Costco are traditionally your best bet for best price, if Priceline bidding scares you - it used to scare me to pay upfront, lol, but I got over it for the $$.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Costco Car Rental

I never knew that. It's true you can learn something new every day. I checked for my dates through Costco.com and Budget came up just over 20 dollars cheaper through Costco. I don't get the two extra drivers though so sticking with my DHCR through Thrifty for the time being. I'll keep checking though as there is still 5 months to go until our trip....wish it was 5 days :)

PS...It still feels strange to check for car rentals at the same place I buy my toilet paper lol

Edited: 26 August 2013, 05:54
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costco Car Rental

Last time I tried to book directly on Costco Travel site there was some snafu with either my membership number or non US address, so I put the Costco corporate number and coupon code directly into car rental company site and voila, it worked.

The corporate rate numbers are: Alamo 7014627, Budget (BCD) W852873, Enterprise CSTCUPG + cos in second screen, Avis A108396.

You can also plug in coupon codes found in the terms & conditions fine print on Costco site. Some of them won't apply to your booking.

I've used this method a number of times in Hawaii, Rhode Island & Florida with no problems at all.

In my experience the Costco rate and the rental company 'club' rates are similar, but I'm not sure if all the clubs include a second driver. If you plug in both the Costo corp # and your club number, the one with highest discount will apply to booking.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costco Car Rental

I weighed in on the Costco/Canadian resident issue last year, and thought I'd comment on my experiences.

Like Mezzsop (and other Canadians who have used the discounts from the US Costco Travel website), I had no trouble with my Alamo booking. I never did try using the CostcoTravel website to book, and frankly if it hadn't been for the successful experiences of other Canadians, the "US Residents only" terms might have scared me off. I compromised and used the Alamo.CA website and put in the code. Everything went just fine.

I tried it again the other day, and this time created an account at CostcoTravel and made a reservation. All went well. Just for curiosity, I called CostcoTravel to ask them about the US residency issue, and the agent said no, I need to use the Costco.CA site, so only Avis or Budget.

Now, it's been discussed that this is a US Travel Agency issue, not a Rental Car company issue (I guess they are less concerned about whether I'm entitled to use the code?)

I tried repeating what I did last year, by going directly to the Alamo site and there were a couple of glitches. First of all, it accepted the discount, but didn't state anywhere on the confirmation that the extra driver was included (it did last year) - I don't like that I might have to dispute that issue, even though the code is supposed to include an extra driver.

Secondly, when I went in to view my reservation on Alamo, typed in the confirmation #, the cost was higher than on my initial reservation.

Certainly, many people here have rented with Costco discounts without any issues (I've used them twice - never even been asked to show my Costco membership card), but I really dislike the ambiguity. If DHCR is anywhere close to the same price, I prefer to go with them. However, those Costco rates are often REALLY great.

Sorry if I've just confused the issue, but I really wanted to share what I've experienced. I tend to fret over these things, probably more than warranted.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costco Car Rental

Re: Post 2 and..... "You can't get rental car discounts through Costco in Canada unless you have an executive membership."

Actually, you can get car rental discounts with a regular Costco membership through Costco.ca.

You don't have to sign into your account, just follow the links listed under Services to Car Rental. You will be redirected off the costco.ca site and you will then choose between Avis and Budget. You choose between Executive and Regular membership (they produce different discount codes). Discounts on Costco.ca aren't as good as .com.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 19:22
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Costco Car Rental

I have tried what everyone has said but the cost is still about 75.00 More than DHCR. I will keep checking and if it goes lower I will book.

Mezzsop, do you know if on hotwire and price line you are locked in? From what I read it sounded like it. I did get a lower price on price line (50.00) cheaper but it didn't look there was an extra driver free so I didn't take it. That happened to us once with a car company and our bill was much higher then we expected. I won't fall into that trap again. I guess I will just have to keep trying them everyday in case it drops. I did get it about 50.00 cheaper with DHCR from the first booking and since then it went back up higher then when I origanally booked.

Oh well it is part of the fun and build up to our Maui arrival in November. Cheers!

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl