We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

Whoa.....these numbers have got to start slowing down....16 already.

This morning we drive up to Honolua Bay to snorkel. I had read lots about it and came prepared with no suncream and bare bones stuff in case of a break in. We brought water shoes and put our money, credit cards and keys into a small dry sac in my hubby's pocket.

Well....we didn't need the water shoes...flip flops sufficed until we were ready to go in, then a few steps and we'd put our flippers on. No sun cream was good...someone there was putting some on and was told to wipe it all off. The little dry sac turned out to be a little wet sac....which we didn't realize until we got back to the car. It was full of water...everything was soaking wet...including our electronic key thing.

We thought...oh no..now we've done it....we'll have to order another set of keys and spend all day..and lots of money getting this straightened out. It was soaking in water for at least 2 hours.

Well...luck...or blessings were on our side. The key worked fine. The door unlocked with a press of the button and the car started without any problems. What a relief!!!

Well onto talking about Honolua Bay. WOW!! First, the walk down through the rainforest was so beautiful...like a movie. Yes the beach is made up of rocks, but is not that bad. I was expecting sharp lava rock, but it's smooth rocks in all sizes. We found a nuce flat rock to sit on and unloaded our stuff(which wasn't much...we came pretty bare bones). The walk down only took about 5 minutes.

We got there about 8:45 am and got a parking spot no problem. If the first lot is full, just drive a little further as there are a few other pullouts and lots as well.

We sat on the edhe of the boat ramp to get in and was very easy we thought. Well...we say manta tays...3 of them. We did not get very close as 'the guy' said it was their mating season and they may be more aggresive.

We saw so many fish...baby ones, regular ones, big ones...short ones, long ones...almost every shape and color. It truly was like swimming in an aquarium. We also saw 2 eels..freely swimming, not hiding in the rocks. I am deathly afraid os snakes so was a little concerned what I would do if I saw an eel. No issues there at all....they were neat to watch. Very fast...they would be easy to miss.

As we were swumming along watching this eel...my hubby poked me and I looked up. Right in front of me was a sea turtle!!!! Not a big one...but he was so cute. We floated there and watched him for a while before he went back down and settled down at the bottom.

We went in and out 3 times after warming up and resting back at our rock. We went without the girls...so we'll have to back and take them with us.

Afterwards we headed up to the blowhole. We stopped at the first lot with lots of cars at MM 38. Bad move...we, aling with another couple, walked and walked trying to find the blow hole. There seemed to be a lot of people just wandering around. Then we saw the sign...duh. Blowhole was a half mile further. We decided to drive it instead of walk...as we had made ine if the biggest mistakes you can on this island...we forgot water. We had just snorkeled for over 2 hours, now walked around in the heat for 30 minutes with nothing to drunk. Bad us....I don't know what we were thinking.

Amyway, after parking at the next lot, the blowhole wasn't really doing much. I figure we must have been there around low tide. Every once in a while a short spurt would come up, but that's about it. Super windy there though. Note...we did not go down to the water, we stayed higher.

The road here is not scary at all...I think it is afyer this point that the road narrows. It is a full 2 lane all the way to the hole parking lot.

Back to the condo for a much needed gallon of water...lol. We ate are fried rice leftovers from Gazebo....well not all of it. Hubby and I each had a full plate and there is still plenty left for tomorrow.

The girls went outside to wander and play for a bit while I rested. All this snorkeling is exhausting...and we have a night out planned.

Hubby and I left again about 3:00 and stopped at Cannery Mall. We were heading for Warren and Annabelle's and I had nothing nice to wear. Imagine that...I packed nothing nice, so sorry hubby, but I need to stop to get somethin' purddy...lol.

I picked out a nice little dress, and we headed for town. We strolled around the shops a bit and were at W&A at the 5:00 pm check in. The place looked deserted. There was no one in line, we weren't sure we had the right time...we were kind if confused, but up the stairs we went. Now we know why...eveybody enters in their own group...you will have to go see how you enter...no spoilers here.

We had a great evening...we sat vlose to another couple and ended up chatting with them throughout dinner and drinks. We had ordered one Royal Flush Package to share, which was plenty of food. The combo plate had 2 chicken skewers, 2 coconut shrimp, a crab cake and 2 small pork wraps all on a bed of Kula greens. It was enough food for the two of us for sure...I am glad we didn't each order our own. The drinks were great...the package included 2 drinks....any kind.

I had a pina colada and hubby had Annabell's Apparition...butterscotch snapps, Bailey's Irish Cream and ice cream....they were both very good. We also had one dessert with the package, but we ordered a second ine...I draw the line at sharing dessert. I had a huge piece of apple pie with 2 big scoops of Lapperts ice cream and hubby had key lime pie. Wow....very good. I loved my apple pie!!!! Note that tips are also included in this package. We only had to pay for our extra dessert plus tip.

Then into the show area...Warren is incredible. I cannot say enough good things about this show. Very very funny...his wit and his facial expressions...amazing. We were sitting in the front row, right in front of where he does his tricks, and we could not figure out how he did any of those tricks.

He was very interactive with the audience and had everyone laughing throughout the entire show. Often the audience would justgo silent as everyone sat in awe in how Warren had just done something. Simply amazing.

This is the best slight of hand magic show I have ever seen...I recommend seeing it so much. You will not be disappointed. The theater only sits about 75, so every seat is a good one and you get to see the tricks close up.

I really wish my kids could see this show...they would have loved it. However, the show is for ages 21 and up, not because of the show, but because of the alcohol maybe. The show had no swears and is very clean fun. He pokes some fun at some but all in good fun. What a wonderful show.

I could not fall asleep last night. Every 5 minutes I would ask my hubby...how do you think he did the ring thing....how did he do the watch thing...the lime thing...

What an amazing night...did I mention that I loved this show...lol.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,449 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

Thanks for reporting!! Glad you liked Honolua Bay, one of my favorites!!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

sounds like another great day. The first day you get there it seems like you have so much time in front of you and then it just seems to pick up speed and you are wishing time would just stop for a little while.

Sounds like you will leave with the dreaded disease Maui-itis.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

We enjoy W and A too. The appetizer plate was perfect. He really is a top magician. And has very good, clean humor.

chicago
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

Wow I hope I can write a nice trip report like yours.I always sound like Shakespeare in my mind and then I write something and it sounds like Elmo wrote it.Very nice report.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

sizzor...lol. I am sure mine sound like Elmo at times as well. I try to write my reports like I would if I were talking to a friend about it. It may not always be great writing but it's from the heart.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

Ha sizzorgirl so true I feel the same way when i'm doing my TR's

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

A clean show is a rarity these days - I hope we get to W&A! It would be so different for us now. All of a sudden - well if you count months of reading TR's and threads - I'm realizing we were being very nonchalant about going to Maui. Need to change that mindset!

Thanks for reporting. Always a highlight!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,741 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

What a fun day--and evening! You are packing a lot in, without it being a mad dash.

Yes, the Liquor Commission here prevented W&A from allowing kids.

Easthampton...
Level Contributor
141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

Thanks for the report. We are also going to warren and Annabelle's in October. I also only ordered 1 royal flush package. I am happy it is no problem splitting it. Is there any trick to sitting in the front row? Is there a line when the theatre opens and you choose a seat, or do they seat you as you enter?

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 16

Sounds like a terrific day. Glad you enjoyed W&A. His close up magic is amazing and he is dang funny to boot! They used to do an early show for families so kids could attend but stopped doing it several years back. SW - was that because of lack of interest or because of the liquor laws? Too bad because many people come out saying how much their kids would enjoy the show.