We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline bid on rental car $

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline bid on rental car $

Just about to rent a mid sized car for $20 a day for a total of 322.00 ten days in February. Should I grab it, its final. Thanks.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

I wouldn't, Best to reserve a car at a price you like, then watch the prices - they often come down. Reserving a car does not cost anything, you can cancel anytime should you find a better deal.

I understand in Feb cars may be in short supply so good to get one locked up, still, I am getting a compact for $10 a day, My first reservation was almost twice that.

Bidding on priceline is best saved for a week or two before your trip IMO. I was going to bid myself but this latest price through Costco I don't think I can beat so I'm not going to bother.

Dave

Canada
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

How do the rates compare for your dates ....directly on the car rental websites....using a discount code or 2?

Personally for me ......the non pre-pay bookings are totally risk free.......one of the few things you don't have to worry about if there is an unexpected change of plan.

Priceline is a good option for some....a few days /weeks out....close to 6months away...not so much..IMO

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

Thanks, I will wait and keep looking, but sure think its a good deal.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

Here's two sites you can look at they are just brokers I have used them both most of us make a reservation and then just keep rechecking my went down from $322 to $174 about a month before my trip this past june for a midsize for 9 days.

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

www.hawaiidrive-o.com

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

Try Costco travel, and discount Hawaii Rental Cars, and yes they may be high right now but after looking all around I'd suggest you reserve the best deal you find. I'm sure you can get at least as good a price as you had at PL.

Then just keep checking for a price drop. If and when you find a better deal, reserve that and then cancel the original. '

If, two weeks before your trip, you still don't think you have the best deal, *then* go to priceline and lowball them, :) You'll have your reserved price just bid less than that .

Dave

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

You can try advantage. They sell hard and have crappy service but they were the cheapest. We got our deposit back. You also have to wait at post 2 to catch the shuttle.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

Take the above advice. I just rebooked our Costco reservation and now have an 18 night standard with Alamo for $313 all in and we will be on Maui in 28 days. I am elated to get an overnight price drop of over $45 from just yesterday!!! I may prefer Budget but so far Budget is not in the zone with Alamo. Just remember to rebook first and then cancel the previous reservation! And I make sure all my info is correct on the new reservation! Deb

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

Ok friends. I made a reservation with discounthawaii car rental and will play the TA game. You guys are great!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

Aloha Ta, how come everybody is getting drops but me. I am not wining just wondering what I am doing wrong. I have a booking with thrifty (DHCR) for $699.00 for 23 days in November. I have tryed Costco travel and it is like 75-100.00 more. Is there a particular time of day I should be checking the site. I usually check morning and evening. Any advice would be great.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline bid on rental car $

Cheryl,

I wasn't getting any price drops either, I was booked with DHCR. Got one drop from 253 to 211 going from Budget to Avis Then on 8/15 just 2 weeks before the trip I booked on Alamos site for 174. But later that day I read about a good deal on Costco travel and got Budget compact for $137

so don't give up. You probably wont see anything big for a while yet

Dave