We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Well today was mostly a relaxation day. We slept in, had a lazy morning, made pancakes for breakfast...and papaya on the lanai.

Hubby and 12 year old went to play tennis and I strolled around the grounds and shops. We happened to rum into each other when they were returning the rackets and found a lady teaching hula just over in another part of the lobby.

Surfing and taking hula lessons were on my 12 year old's wish list...so it was so neat just to happen upon it. She joined right in...the lesson was probably close to an hour long. It was very good and she was thrilled. It was all ladies...and her...lol.

We played in the pool...having lots of fun and laughing during all of the silly pool games we play. It was a really nice family bonding moment...we seem to be having a lot of those here on Maui.

That is one of the main reasons I like to travel and go camping. We are away from all the distractions (well most...they still have their ipods), away from all of our regular day to day duties...and just have so much time together. I cherish these moments so much because I know how quickly they go.

My 22 and 24 year olds won't camp with us, and don't really go on vacation with us. I still hope to book something with all of us...but they each have their responsibilities and schedules, so it's hard to get away for a week with all of us. I am still hopeful though.

The girls headed back up to the condo and hubby and I took a walk aling the beach stopping in at the Beach Club (pink) next door...beautiful grounds and pool area, and also stopping at Honua Kai. We didn't go into the pools or anything, just walked around. Honua Kai is wonderful. I would love to stay there for a couple of nights. Great water area, nicely landscaped...I just got a really good feeling being there. It was out of our price point for this trip, but maybe next time.

I mustn't make sense to some of you...I talk about liking the small condos then I talk about loving Grand Wailea and Honua Kai.....well..I think I have discovered what I like best on this kind of vacation.

I like a week at a small condo..like Kihei Surfside, Napili area, etc....followed by a couple of days at a big resort with lots of pool and beautiful grounds. I think Kaanapali Shores in kind of in the middle, and although lovely, it just doesn't really fit either of those.

Now I could repeat this entire vacation again just as we have sone it and be completely thrilled...but next time I think I'd do one week local and quiet, then a few days mega resort...repeat as neccesary...lol.

After our walk we got ready for our evening out. All of us were heading to Ululena. We stopped at the Cannery Mall again then we went to Aloha Mixed Plate for supper. We took the long way...we drove down into the busy town part, only to drive all the way back up to AMP...which is right behind the mall...duh.

The parking for Ululena is at the Lahaina Center...is that an old mall that has been closed down??? Or are they building it into something else? It looks like it used to be something, but now it's just empty buildings for the most part.

Anyway...parking is free if you get your ticket validated at the show. We enjoyed the show...yes, it is sung in Hawaiian, but that is part of why we liked it. You could tell the story by the acting and dancing. You are also given a program which describes each scene...and the description that is spoken is in english.

It is actually very touching...especially the pary when the Europeans come in. It makes me kind of sad how the traditional Hawaiian culture has been changed and somewhat taken over. Just some touching moments. It's a bit of culture that I think was good for us all to watch. It made for some good conversation on the drive home.

Can't believe that there are only a few days left...I want to hang on tight to every moment. When we got back home, hubby and daughter went to play tennis again and I went down for a night swim in the pool.

When I first got there I had the garden pool and hottub all to myself. What an amazing feeling....laying in a quiet pool surrounded by palm trees and tiki torches. Wow...I am in Hawaii!!! This is one of my favorite things ever...swimming in the quiet darkness of the night. (Safely of course...I was in a lit, open hotel pool...lol).

Later I was joined by other swimmers and I met a couple who live about 2 hours from us. He was actually born close to where we live, so it was neat to talk about that. Talking to them gave me great perspective...they were there as part of her son's Make a Wish Foundation wish. A very bittersweet vacation...although mostly sweet...they said he is doing well now and has all hia hair back, etc. But it sure makes you realize how fragile everything is...and how blessed we are to be able to come here on our own.

She said they were only here for one week and that they were only going to take short naps. They didn't want to sleep a lot because they wanted to experience Maui for as many waking moments as they could. She said they could sleep at home when they got back. God bless them.

Great day and we had some prayers for the family we met....quite a wake up call.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing day..except playing tennis twice! LOL. You have hit exactly why I love our family trips. Yes my kids have their iPads (like we have ours or books for down time), but the majority of the time we are just together, making memories and lots of laughs. I am sure meeting that family is sobering. We don't know how much time we have, so make the most of it! Thank you as always, for sharing!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Even while vacationing on Maui, life can be very fragile. Maui has a way of putting it all into perspective. Thanks, travellover.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Once again a great report. We hear a lot about the Make a Wish Foundation through our Children's Hospital. I think it is just wonderful that they do that for children who are sick and I am sure that it brings sun to their heart for them and their family.

I wish I was in that dim lit pool surrounded by Palm trees with you. I always plant two fairly large Palm trees in pots by our hot tub. That way when we are enjoying a Mai ti and Hawaiian music in our hot tub we can dream that we are back in Maui. How can one Island make such an impact on people. One thing I will never regret is our memories we make in Maui.

Enjoy your evening.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Thanks for sharing another of your days in such depth. You sound like a wonderful family. I just came from a hula lesson myself, but I have to drive nearly an hour to get there :) I'm glad your daughter was able to enjoy hers. And Ulalena does nicely capture both history and culture.

Are the tennis courts you use the ones by Papakea?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

No...Kaanapali Shores has 2 tennis courts, a pickle ball court ( not sure what that is??), and a shuffleboard surface.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Another great installment of a wonderful trip.

Our trip in June included our only child our 24 year old daughter who is a high school history teacher and also her boyfriend we had a great time together they both loved Maui.

The only time I got on our computer was to do my daily TR's and I don't think we turned on the TV once.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

You are discovering the magic of Maui! We are blessed, we book our time-share a year out and open it up to which-ever of our grown kids can join us! Somehow they manage. Great times, always!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Love the TR's! I'm right along with you. I could use 3 weeks on the island about now!

We've always traveled with our daughter. Now that she is about to turn 19, some of that may change. That would be bittersweet...Vicki and I would love to take a vacation on our own! (We haven't done more than 3 nights solo since...well, you know.) But DD is a college actress and there are roles she wants to take over summers.

Enjoy being with the family in whatever way you can.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

What a wonderful installment this is. I am glad you enjoyed 'Ulalena........you really 'got' it, too. It is a poignant production for those who read the story and open their minds.

The encounter with the family was so special--thanks for writing about it. Sometimes the best lessons we learn are from those we never meet.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks on Maui Trip Report...day 17

Another wonderful day for the travellover family. Enjoyed your notes on Ulalena. We have yet to see the full production but it's on the list.

I'm sure the Make the Wish family was blessed by visiting with you. It is a wake up call. We have dear friends packing to leave on a family Make A Wish trip with their 16 yr old daughter.