We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to the crater

Jersey City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
travel to the crater

Hello, someone told me that one should not take a rental car to see the crater on Haleakula. Is that true/

thanks

Jay

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,208 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to the crater

No, it's not. There are no rental car prohibitions for the Crater Road, except from that awful outfit "Aloha Camper Vans".

Caution, though--coming down you need to pump the brakes and gear down............don't ride the brakes.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to the crater

No problem taking a rental car to the Haleakala Crater ... where it will commune with all the other rental cars. :o)

Perhaps your friend was confused with the highway along the back side of Haleakala - which rental car agencies do prohibit.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,473 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to the crater

Please check how many miles your rental has on it and keep in mind SOMEONE probably drove it up Haleakala! I had one rental van we returned because of the brakes just going to Kaanapali...would never have taken that thing up the mountain.

Check weather reports before you go too...ain't always "sunshine and lollipops" up there!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to the crater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmBXEZEYtg

For you, mamma.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to the crater

No problem with rental cars or local cars going up. Remember when you check the weather report, the weather can be completely different than it was when you left!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,473 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to the crater

Yup! BLBL...my Haleakala trip was less than stellar! Use this site to check the weather up on the mountain... www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/maui.php… before you go.

My crew has gone back up and enjoyed the sunset, after my first "experience" I choose to hang at the condo or head to Whaler's for a nice drink!

Edited: 30 August 2013, 02:35
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to the crater

We have been to the summit more times than I can count. Have gotten up there with clear skies everywhere and in roll the clouds. Crater, what crater, I just see clouds. Then there have been other times when we arrive in the clouds, can't find the crater because of the clouds then.. whoa.. the clouds blow away and there's a beautiful crater and views 100 miles away to the Big Island. Fickle weather conditions up there at times.

Back to the question... Rentals are are allowed to be driven to the summit.

If the weather cam on the weather site link is working you can check and see the conditions, but by the time you arrive 2 hours later, it could easily change. Just go.. we love it up there.

8. Re: travel to the crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 05:19