We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana Tours

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Hana Tours

It seems like I have no plans set in stone just yet(Flight is at 9:30 pm tonight, arriving at 7am in Maui, yey me!) but I really do want to do the road to Hana. I am interested in looking at doing a tour instead, doing some research (thanks guys!) the places I want to stop by and visit are:

1. Oheo

2. Waianapanapa

I am in between HikeMaui and Valley Isle.

I do want to spend more time at the Pipiwai Trail, but I am not sure if HikeMaui drops by Waianapanapa at least even for a few minutes.

Any thoughts?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana Tours

<<"I am not sure if HikeMaui drops by Waianapanapa at least even for a few minutes.">>

Probably best to give them a call.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana Tours

Shot them an email, and letft a message but it's 3 am Hawaiian time. Wainapanapa is mosthly for the boyfriend, however he only cares about seeing a black sand/pebble beach (not which one). I'm still leaning towards doing HikeMaui, and going to the beach by La Perouse Bay (sp?).

Also, more reasons to come back to Maui next year :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana Tours

I should have added re the phone call, to call once you arrive on Maui, or later today before you leave, and when their office is open. . The pricing that they quote is per person, but for 4 people, so that could be an issue compared with Valley Isle pricing.

Enjoy your trip!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,314 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana Tours

Wainapanapa State Park.. hands down for the black Beach!! Sme refer to the small beach in south Maui as a black sand beach.. nope not really, nothing like Wainapanapa for a true black sand beach experience.

You can easily drive yourself to La Perouse Bay, the drive has beautiful views.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana Tours

@Susan thanks for pointing out the pricing! We will def call them later today. We're definitely leaning towards doing HikeMaui and Valley Isle next trip. If HikeMaui doesnt work out for this trip, we'll do Valley Isle and do HikeMaui next trip. :)

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana Tours

Any thoughts from people who have done either?

thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana Tours

We really enjoyed our day with Valley Isle. We had a very informative driver and learned sooo much about the flora, fauna and history of the island. Money well spent! Request Charlie as a driver!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana Tours

Lots of recent reviews for both here on TA. Be sure to read through an assortment of reviews from Excellent to Terrible to see what people enjoyed and didn't enjoy. As mamma mentions, who you get as a tour guide will make a difference. Also, with Hike Maui reviews, you'll find reviews for all of their tours, so you'll want to focus on the ones for the RTH. I think Valley Isle just does RTH tours.

tripadvisor.ca/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60630-d111…

Edited: 30 August 2013, 15:29
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana Tours

You won't get to spend much time at Oheo Gulch using a typical Hana tour like Valley Isle. The only way you will get to hike the Pipiwai Trail is by using a tour like Hike Maui or driving yourself.

Not much of a black sand beach in LaPerouse, more like black lava beach!! There is a salt and pepper beach close to Puu Olei, which is the cinder cone that separates Little Beach from Big Beach in Makena.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana Tours

Booked with HikeMaui, $320 for two people! We'll be hiking on 9/3/13!