We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

san diego
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

The past few days have been full of adventure and relaxation. We have managed to do both.

We ended up at Makena beach Tuesday; it was a stunning beach! It is etched in my mind. I did not snorkel - the water was too rough for me, but the guys did, and they saw many turtles and schools of fish. Made it to happy hour and grilled at our place for dinner.

The group consensus was they wanted to watch sunrise at Haleakala, so we woke up Wednesday at 2:30, and left maui Kai at 3:00 in the morning. I don't drink much coffee anymore, but decided I would drink it everyday in Maui - it's coffee grown right here, and I do appreciate good coffee. Bad decision when you are headed up a extremely curvy road. I was so sick ny the end and for most of the afternoon. I sucked it up, and did appreciate the magnificent beauty of the sunrise. It was pretty magical. I was the minority in not wanting to do the sunrise, but it was quite the adventure, and everyone was happy we did.

Also, upcountry is so diverse and beautiful. We stopped for some tea on the way down at the lavender farm rest stop (lavender tea was lovely), and I felt like I could have been in the mountains in the mainland, and then we are back at sea level. So interesting to go from alien and barren land to forest and ranch to the ocean.

We were all pretty wiped so we spent the rest of the day near our place, and sea turtles kept swimming by, so I got my snorkel gear ready, and as soon as one came swimming by I made it in to get a look at him. He was bigger than me. I was afraid I was going to swim into him, and the water was cloudy, so I didn't stay in long. I told my husband do not snorkel whe the water was murky, and it was yesterday, so he stopped cuz he said he kept hearing my voice - thank you trip advisor!

We ended up at the pool next door playing volleyball with a group of kids. They were so nice for letting us old people play with the. Happy hour again at the kaanapali beach club, and decided to take a Walk south into the heart of kaanapali, and ended up having dinner at Leilani - outside. I can't believe we ended this very long day with a six mike walk, but I love long wAlks on the beach. It was perfect.

For some reason, I thought the hotel next door was the kaanapali beach hotel, so when I read about the turtle release I was so excited we were next door, and then we even made it back down from the crater in time. We rushed through breakfast at java joe's (wasn't anything spectacular, but a very funky decor), and made my way to the hotel to find out this was the club and not the kaanapali beach hotel. I was really disappointed to miss this, and we would have driven or walked down if we breakfast hadn't take so long, but what can you do.

Today we are taking the trilogy trip to lanai. Very much looking forward to it.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

Enjoy Lanai...I'm tasting those rolls now!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

Wow, what a great trip you're having. I think we San Diego people do Maui up right :) Keep in mind, you can go back - my wife and I go every year.

Dave

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

You have been busy. Sorry the coffee and curves made your tummy queasy, not a fun feeling. Great that you had a beautiful sunrise and enjoyed a bit of time UpCountry. It is lovely up there.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

Thanks for the report, waxy turtle, sounds like you are having a great time!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,826 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

So sorry you got queasy, but glad you managed to enjoy the day for the most part.

Have a kickback, easy day today!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,599 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

Sounds like a great trip even with a few blips. Hope you are having fun on the Trilogy. We love that trip!

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

Thanks for sharing your day! Sorry you were not feeling well. Sounds like you made the best of it and had a good time.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

Sounds like your having a great trip so far thanks for sharing.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

Thanks for the trip report and you have a great attitude...........just manning up and doing your best to feel better! It is so easy to get confused on Maui in certain areas. I had the hardest time figuring out to park and find Napili Beach last year, said so in my trip report and thanks to everyone on TA, they told me exactly what to do the next day! That is the biggest bonus to live trip reporting is the real time feedback and suggestions. Enjoy your excursion tomorrow! Deb

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - feels like 24 hours blurred together

Kudos for sticking it out on the drive to Haleakala! We turned around at about 5,000 ft because my stomach could not handle it! Next time I think I might try being the driver and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for sharing!