We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions, decisions....

Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Decisions, decisions....

We are heading to Maui for a friends wedding. We will be there from Jan 21-30. We are narrowing down our search for accommodation between Waillea Marriott (my husband is a gold member), or the Royal Lahaina looks nice and in cheaper. It is just my husband and I traveling and we are looking for a honeymoon-like experience for our 10 year anniversary. We are pretty active people, and are looking forward to trying surfing, snorkeling, some nice meals and relaxing. Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated!

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions, decisions....

If you haven't done so yet, book your rental car ASAP.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions, decisions....

If you are looking for a "honeymoon experience" go for the Wailea Marriott. They went through a nice upgrade fairly recently. Beautiful grounds, nice infinity pool, and the property is adjacent to two of South Maui's great beaches. Also, at that time of year, the ocean conditions in the South are generally better. The RL is nice and on a great stretch of quiet beach, but just doesn't seem to be in the same class. If you do go for the RL, you'll want the Tower not the cottages which are very run down.

portland or
Level Contributor
212 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions, decisions....

wheres the wedding? You could always split time so you aren't driving all over but Ihink Wailea is more honeymoon like. Congrat

s and happy 10 yrs!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions, decisions....

Please tell us where you are from. There is no hometown, state or even country on your profile. That information helps us a great deal.

Where's the wedding?

Do you realize that the Royal Lahaina and the Marriott are different sides of the Island? Do you want South Maui or West Maui? Do you want to stay near the wedding and then change accomodations? Do you have a good map of Maui?

While the Marriott is a nicer resort - I prefer West Maui, so I would go with the Royal Lahaina. Have you looked at the Sheraton Maui? The Hyatt? Both are on Ka'anapali Beach, West Maui.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions, decisions....

Maui is not that big, you can drive from South to West in about an hour. So, I don't think it really matters where the wedding is. We have attended a friend's wedding at the Ritz's Carlton, (the furthest north hotel in West Maui) but we actually stayed at the Grand Wailea.

You have 9 days, I think you should stay where you feel that suit you the most. Wailea will definitely give you that honeymoon feel. We too, celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary on Maui a few years ago, in Wailea.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions, decisions....

The whales will be there. Try a whale watch or sunset cruise.

Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decisions, decisions....

We are from Halifax, Nova Scotia (east coast of Canada). The wedding is in Lahaina. We will have a car, so I am not worried about the distance... I heard 45 min - 1 hr.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,204 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decisions, decisions....

I would pick one of the Kaanapali resorts or condo resorts. A close location to the wedding, easy cab ride if you imbibe at the wedding reception.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decisions, decisions....

I too would recommend the Wailea Marriott. In my opinion, a much better place to celebrate a wedding anniversary. You can get to Lahaina for the wedding in that 45 minute mark.

10. Re: Decisions, decisions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 18:40