We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions

Hi,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Hawaii in December. We'll have about 7-8 days in Hawaii. While I have gone through the travel forums here (which were really really well critiqued, thanks for that) and have decided on a couple of things that we would like to do i.e.

- sunrise/ sunset at Haleakala crater

-RTH

-visit uptown

-sandy beaches

There are some questions I had:

1. Most of the people have written about staying at just 1 hotel/ resort. Wouldn't it be better if we stay in a resort up North for a couple of days and then move South as a couple of places, like Haleakala, would be closer from there?

2. While we'll get a rented car for the entire duration, is it possible to get a driver for a day or two for the car e.g. for RTH as I saw the road is quite treacherous?

3. Wherever it's written that it takes two hours to reach Haleakala and about 12 hours to complete RTH, is the reference point Kaanapali?

I would be extremely grateful if you all could help me with these questions. Thanks!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions

You can take a tour of the Road to Hana look at Valley Isle Excursions is highly recommended on here.

What do you mean by Uptown by chance do you mea Lahaina?

We like to get settled in so only stay in one place, only on the west side so far have stayed in Napili and this past june in honokowai at Nohonani we loved it so much we are staying there again next may.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions

Maybe upcountry?

We have done both...stayed in one place and split our stays. It was for a longer trip when we split.. At least a week each. We now prefer to stay in one place and be settled as UNCMOM says. It can be a pain between check out and check in times and you can waste time, You may be a little closer to RTH and Haleakala by staying in Maalea or Kihei, but honestly it's not that big of a deal from anywhere. We now stay in Kapalua which is the most north-west that you can stay, and we don't find it bad as well as others that stay there. I think part of the fun is driving around.

Many people do drive RTH themselves, but if you prefer not to, a second recommendation for Valley Isle... Highly recommended on here.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions

Ah.. Upcountry didn't even think of that.

Upcountry is great so different than the coastal areas of Maui you can combine this with your trip to Haleakala.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,683 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions

May we assume you are from New Zealand??? It would help if you had a location added to your profile.

As far as the "treacherous" road to Hana goes, that is really not true, depending on where you are from, and what you are used to... it is all relative! Now if your profile said you were from a city in the Canadian prairies, I might agree that the road would be treacherous to them, as they have very few curves in their roads. DON'T HIT ME!!!! PLEASE!!!! But you DO NOT want to get a driver for your car. Check the insurance for the vehicle! Not a good idea at all. If you are concerned about the drive, then definitely look at Valley Isle. Much more fun for all involved, as everybody gets to enjoy the drive.

Check out the trip report recently posted about their day with Valley Isle... give me a minute and I'll post the link if I can find it. That 12 hours for the RTH is for starting anywhere. And some will take a shorter time, depending on how many stops they make, and how long they spend at the stops.

The other reason for not moving to another locale during your one week stay, is the condo fees. Of course, I am assuming that you would want to stay in a condo. More room, a kitchen for breakfasts and snacks, and the odd supper in. But also, you will save money by renting one condo. Some owners will waive the cleaning fee if you stay for 5 days or more.

Also, be aware that you pay 10.00 per car to enter Haleakala National Park. That receipt is good for three days, so if you go up Haleakala for sunrise or sunset, you can use the receipt to enter the park a half hour past Hana, where Oheo Gulch and the Pipiwai Trail is located.

tripadvisor.ca/…52514453

Found it! It is right at the bottom, but the whole report is well worth reading!

Edited: 01 September 2013, 05:15
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions

Thanks for all the replies guys! Will definitely check out Valley Isle for RTH. I am from India and do not have much driving experience. That is why we were considering alternatives.

Sorry I meant upcountry. I was referring to Paia in particular.

So if I stay at Kanapali or Lahaina, the drive to the Haleakala crater would be take about 2 hours, right?

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions

That would be about right. If concerned, grab a GPS and it'll give you turn-by-turn information.

Here's a few pics of the sunrise on Haleakala. Hopefully, another forum member can supply similar about the sunset so you can decide.

travelblog.org/Oceans-and-Seas/Pacific/blog-…

toronto
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of questions

Hallo Joan123

I may not be able to answer all your questions but share my experience with you since I have been there.

Haleakala Crator: I would highly recommend to take a tour to go there. A van would come to pick you up around 3 am. and you will get there just in time for a hot coco and spectacular sun show.

I would ask you to go to that the next day you arrive since there is time difference of 3 hours (im from Toronto). Most likely you will wake up in the middle of the night feeling it should be morning around 9 am.

I had no problem getting up even I'm not a morning person.

Bring warm clothig with you, it is really cold.

My favorite beach on Maui was Makena beach and Kaa'napali beach.

I think you could stay in 2 different hotels for your convenience, however the island is not hat big so you can travel back and forth everywhere and the views are spectacular so you won't mind driving.

We were going somewhere almost every day for day trips that we truly enjoyed them.

Please don't miss Eden Garden, a botanical garden on the Road to Hana.

Congratulation on your engagement! Good luck in your marriage.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of questions

Hi Joan, even though I hate to agree with you about the prairies I have to. I am one of those people who is afraid of driving the RTH and have taken the tour with Valley Isle. It is really recommend and I am glad that we took it. It was nice for hubby as well then he could sit back and also enjoy the beauty. Also, they take the back road back which was an eye opener. It is awesome to go from a rain forest and its beauty to land that was almost desert like which had its own beauty, It is a great tour.

Kiwigloo, as you can see above we loved RTH and Valley Isle is great. As far as staying two places in 7 days, it will cut up your time. The west side is beautiful as all of Maui is but we prefer to stay in Kihei in a condo. We just find it is more central for touring around. I think that is a personal like for people and no choice is the right or wrong thing. Maui is truly a paradise and where ever you decide to stay you will love it. Up Country again is so different from the rest of the island and is also very beautiful and serene. It definetly is worth driving up there to look around.

Haleakala sunrise is so unbelievable you can't miss it, and yes "Joan" we took a tour.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and you couldn't have picked a better place for your honeymoon.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of questions

Paia is not really Upcountry it is on the coast not too far from Kahului kinda at the start of the Hana Hwy. It is a little town with some great restaurants and shops.

Ka'anapali is only about a 10 minute drive from Lahaina in fact all the areas up the west coast side like Ka'anapali,Honokowai,Kahana,Napili all have a Lahaina address so that can be confusing to some.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,683 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of questions

Ka'anapali to Haleakala, according to google!!

http://goo.gl/maps/n9lnv

You are right on the time kiwigloo! Just under two hours.

Paia is a wonderful town to explore. And if you drive just a bit further east, you can pull into the lookout over Ho'okipa Beach and watch the windsurfers. Then head back into Paia, turn left at the traffic light (Baldwin Avenue), and then head up the hill to Makawao, another wonderful town. If you don't get there too late, you can stop at the bakery for some malasadas, or donuts on a stick! YUM!!