We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - days 5 & 6

san diego
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - days 5 & 6

. We made it to the swap meet in Saturday around 9 am, and it was so hot! I was eating shave ice at 10 in the morning, but it did the spot. We all love swap meets, so we had a lot of fun checking this out and buying some souvenirs. I was really wanting to buy local, so this was a great place for that too.

I found a ceramic artist, Javier Gaytan and Edward Villar. There prices were very reasonable and I fell in love with their pieces. I bought coasters and a hot plate, and a beautiful bowl. His pieces are so colorful, so they at decorative and useful.

I also bought some pekelos Hawaiian coffee. I talked to the grower for awhile, and he said he had just roasted it the day before. Red catuai and pea berry. I also found some jellies.

My husband was on the lookout for a tiki, so we were looking at the different artists carving. I went with my girlfriend for five minute, and in that time he ended up buying what has been termed a triki. It's at least 30 pounds, and it looks like a tree with the limbs still on it and a face carved into the middle. It's huge, and total spontaneous purchase, and now he doesn't know what he is going to do with it. He is even looking to trade it in to another craft shop for credit somewhere for a piece that will be more accessible for flying home (sigh)

Saturday night was the old lahaina luau. We had a fabulous time. The food and drink were very good, and even though there were hundreds of people, they did a great job at keeping lines moving. Our drink server was also very attentive. The music was stellar, and I would love to go somewhere else where they play similar music. The performances were top notch and the dancing was beautiful. I loved learning some history through song and dance. Also, the chanting and chanter was amazing! I would love to just listen to him. It is so interesting, as it is so similar yet so different to Native American chanting. Loved it!

Yesterday we were checking out of the maui Kai, and into the Westin villas. We were also saying goodbye to our friends. It was bittersweet leaving the view of the maui Kai. The visibility of the water was perfectly clear yesterday, and as we were leaving a sea turtle came swimming by very close to shore.

We decided to go to Napili for the day. Wow! Such a beautiful spot, and we all decided it would be a great place to stay. The bay was cal and beautiful. We snorkeled, and there were 5 or 6 turtles hanging out at the rocks grazing. So fun!

Last night, for our last dinner together, we went to fleetwoods. It had a great vibe to it, and the food was very good. At six o'clock there was a sunset ceremony which included a native Hawaiian blowing the conch shell, giving a blessing, and providing us a bit more history and wise words of taking care of this earth. Next, a bag piper came on, and he played a few songs. My husband is British, so he came to talk to us after. He is a scot, but has been on the island for 18 years.

We ended the night taking a walk along front street and checking out some galleries,and dreaming of buying a piece. We walked too far, and ended up at the banyan tree! Had no idea it was that huge! Just amazing!

I was so worried we were going to be put into a room here at the Westin facing the parking lot. We are in the south tower, so no lanai, but we are on the fourth floor facing the pool with some ocean and mountain views. Whew, so relieved.

We haven't decided if we will do the timeshare presentation. I'm thinking no. Today we are just going to enjoy the hotel and the snorkeling out front. The studio is nice, and I can't wait to try out the jacuzzi bath!

Stephanie

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

Great report...sounds like something my husband would do lol. Look at cost of shipping home versus boxing up and treating it as checked luggage. Sounds like your having fun!

PS: skip timeshare presentation...we did one before and hubby has threatened to divorce me if I ever drag him to another lol

Edited: 02 September 2013, 19:48
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,499 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

Sounds like a fun time! Glad you enjoyed the Swap Meet. I agree with Chrissy-take the tiki down to the UPS store in the little strip mall at Papalua and the highway. They may not be open today (holiday). They can give you the prices and different options for shipping the **tree** home.

If you don't mind waiting for it-'parcel post' MAY be the cheapest method-but expect it to take about 6-8 weeks.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 20:02
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,955 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

May be 30 pounds, but I hope you can manage to get it home. It sounds beautiful, and very unique. And think of the stories you get to tell when people take notice of it in your own home!!

Glad you like the room you got at the Westin. I didn't know they had rooms without a lanai. That happened to us when we went to Kauai. It never occurred to me that there were places without lanais. That was before I knew about the forums on trip advisor. I didn't do my homework for that trip!

New England
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

The Fleetwood sounds like a lot of fun. I looked at their menu, but it did not have prices. Do you mind sharing about how much you spent?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

Buy some bubble wrap and tape and check the carving as luggage.

Maui is pretty quiet right now so I am glad you got upgraded at the Westin timeshare. If you go to the timeshare presentation there is about a one in four chance that you will buy at full price.

Glad you liked the swap meet it has a real treasure trove of things. Buyer beware this is not a juried event.

Imports can be presented as Made in Maui. Look for the legally required sterling silver stamps on jewelry such as .925 or sterling silver. If it is not on it and it is sold in the USA it is not sterling silver. My friend just returned a bangle that was not sterling silver and was not stamped. The vendor replaced it with another not stamped bangle. There are lots great local vendors that do represent their products accurately but don't get me started on the display boards with the "Hawaiian" bone fish hooks . You can order these Made in China

pendants on line from DH Gate or from Ebay for $6 to $20 instead of paying $30 to $130 to these vendors selling these Maori designs as hand carved on Maui. So unfair to the real carvers.

Thanks for the great report.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

Sounds like a very good time! I am looking forward to the swap meet, too. Should be fun! Glad your accomodation change went well - it IS tough being without a lanai. I hope the view makes up for it! It sounds like it could.

Thanks for a terrific TR.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

Thanks for reporting, what a wonderful time you are having!!

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
372 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

Fleetwood's sounds like a great time. I love bag pipes!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

Sounds like another great couple days. I can't imagine a room or condo in Hawaii without a lanai this is definitely a deal breaker for us as we use ours every day.

Love the Swap Meet always find too much stuff that I like.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,596 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - days 5 & 6

Stephanie........I like your guy's style at the Swap Meet! Last year, I came close to buying a sink marked down from hundreds of dollars to just $60. A cool artist named Albert made it and two ladies got fussy and walked away. I made a comment and he lowered the price to $60. Then I noticed my husband was missing cause I was trying to sneak buy the sink........lol!....On day two of our long vacation. You got lucky with a guy that is so busy buying his own super cool stuff, he isn't paying any attention to you! That's a keeper. We'll be at the swap meet together at the end of this month and I hope it goes better than last year. He doesn't want to stay at the condo like I suggested.

I would take it on the plane as a carry-on. I did that with a wood pineapple mirror I got at the swap meet and no problem. We fly Alaska Airlines. It was three feet by two feet and I was worried, but no one even blinked an eye.

Your trip reports have been very enjoyable! It sounds like you are having a blast, but in an easy, fun way. Sorry about the no lanai but your attitude is awesome. Deb