We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala Sunrise what tour company/ maybe Hana as well

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Haleakala Sunrise what tour company/ maybe Hana as well

We have decided to do a tour for the sunrise, what company do people recommend. We plan to do the Hana on our own, well at the moment we do, might change our minds after reading some of the posts.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala Sunrise what tour company/ maybe Hana as well

Actually, I'd suggest doing it the other way around - drive up Haleakala yourself for the sunrise and do a tour for you Hana day. With your own car for Haleakala you can take a leisurely drive back down, have breakfast along the way and one of several great places like Kula Lodge, and take some time to explore the beautiful Upcountry. The road is well marked and there will be plenty of traffic on the way up so no need to worry about negotiating the road.

For Hana I'd suggest Valley Isle Excursions. They do an excellent job, stop at the great sites along the way, and will take you all the way around the south side where your rental car is forbidden to go by the rental contract.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala Sunrise what tour company/ maybe Hana as well

Personally I would drive myself to both places but the tours along the Hana Hwy. are so informative and make the trip relaxing. A tour up to the summit of Haleakala is just a waste of money, imho!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala Sunrise what tour company/ maybe Hana as well

I would also suggest driving Haleakala on your own.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala Sunrise what tour company/ maybe Hana as well

If you're not comfortable driving to Haleakala in the dark, then either go up after sunrise, or go up in the afternoon and stay for sunset (that way driving down in the dark won't be totally new). The road can be scary to people who aren't used to mountain roads.

I would skip a tour for sunrise, unless you are willing to spend large $$$$ and do one with Temptation Tours. They do wonderful tours of Maui but are expensive.

For Hana, either way has its goods and bads. If you choose a tour, Valley Isle is a great company.

5. Re: Haleakala Sunrise what tour company/ maybe Hana as well

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 06:21