We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

Cambridge...
6 posts
Save Topic
Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

Hello!

I'm taking a last minute trip to Maui before I start a new job. Because of this, I'm traveling alone for 4 days before meeting up with friends in Kihei. Would love suggestions as to which town would be most enjoyable for a solo traveler in their late 20's? Lahaina? Paia? Kaanapali? I've never been to Hawaii so I'm pretty clueless :)

I would like a serene environment with friendly locals and fellow tourists. Being close to good food (restaurants both cheap and nice), outdoor activities, and a decent nightlife would be ideal.

I don't know if the roads are bike-friendly but it would be great to rent a bike to get within a 10 mile radius of where I'm staying. If not, I can rent a car.

Thanks for the help!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,097 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

Please rent a car! There are not many bike lanes on Maui, and the drivers are easily distracted (mostly us tourists!!!). You will need it when your friends arrive too. Rent right from the airport, and get busy with that right away. When do you leave????

Discount Hawaii Car Rental is a good company to deal with. Can I assume you are not a Costco member? If you are, check with them as well. Do not pre pay for any rental. Check the rental price just before you go as well, as it sometimes drops in price. Then you can rebook it and cancel the preexisting reservation.

You will not want to stay in Paia. But you will definitely want to visit the shops and galleries there at some point in your trip. Check Lahaina town for a place to stay, as it will be so much easier for you to walk around the town for restaurants, shopping, and some night life. There, or Ka'anapali Resort area, just 10 minutes drive north of Lahaina town. Ka'anapali area has lots of restaurant choices as well, Whaler's Village for shopping, and some of the resorts supply free shuttles for their guests.

Give us a budget for accommodation, and we will be able to help you better.

Bonus with the car... you can go to the airport and pick up the friends!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,908 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

I actually think Paia is a great place for someone young and coming solo. You just won't be close to swimming and snorkeling beaches if that is a focus. The actual town of Lahaina would also be good. Knowing your budget would help us help you.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

I would suggest Lahaina town, too. Paia can get a little dodgy in the evenings........well, a lot sometimes. I don't think it's a good place for a solo female.

Cambridge...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

Thanks for the help! I just checked Hawaii Car Rental and it would be roughly $330 for 2 drivers for 7 days.

As for my hotel budget. I don't have a tight one but I was hoping to spend $150 or less on the days when I'm alone. Seems doable with vrbo/tripadvisor rentals by owner.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

Okay, if you are thinking of a condo for those days, I would check some of the west side agencies, too. You should be able to find a nice studio for 150/nt, look at ChasenRainbows, Kaanapali Beachfront Rentals, Harris Property management, Quam Properties to start. This will help you get a feel for prices and places. They are all licensed agencies and good operations.

Your problem may be the short stay of only a few days. If you run into that, look at Outrigger and Aston for options. No minimum stays and generally no cleaning fees.

Cambridge...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

So, I found a cottage in Lahaina (near Front St.) or a few condos in both Kaanapili and Napili that are on the water. What would you recommend? Thanks!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

Post the links, then we can help better.

Cambridge...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

Lahaina - $531

http://www.vrbo.com/287956

Honokowai - $688

http://www.vrbo.com/159175

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,097 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

I prefer the one in Honokowai. It is more money, but the reason I like it is because it is a bigger place, and the opportunities for meeting other people will increase in a place like that. You have the pool for your use, and easier access to beaches than you would in Lahaina.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young solo traveler wondering where to stay

When are you arriving? The Polynesian Shores condo is nice--but no AC, IIRC. Also, that rate works out to 172/nt, for 4 nights. I think that's high for the area, unless you are coming during a holiday. Polynesian Shores is several blocks from much of anything, too.

I'd look at Maui Kai, Maui Kaanapali Villas, Maui Eldorado, to be closer to more "stuff".

The ohana is nicely done. My hesitation is that without the exact location, you could have roosters next door. NOT a nice way to spend your time. You might look at Aina Nalu, in Lahaina tow, or Lahaina Shores.