We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Snorkeling

Level Contributor
123 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon Snorkeling

Rather than hijack the recent snorkeling thread, I thought I would start a new one. I will be at the Whaler in Early October. I understand that snorkeling is generally recommended in the morning due to wave/wind conditions, but I would like to know which West Maui beaches people have enjoyed snorkeling in the afternoon during this time of year.

Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
63,881 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Snorkeling

October can be a funny time, Dan. It is often nearly as hot and dry as September.The swells are transitional then, too-we prob won't have any north swells unless we get a really early one.

Honolua can be good in the afternoons, as can Kapalua, Napili, and Kahekili. Olowalu may also be dead calm. It will just depend-sorry I can't help more.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Snorkeling

""Honolua can be good in the afternoons, as can Kapalua, Napili, and Kahekili.""

That was our experience this summer and now, quite a few in the past. I'll add Slaughterhouse to the list. It can be a little more surgy with a small shore break in summer, but not a difficult entry. We recently snorkeled 15 times at the above locations, roughly 10 were in the afternoon. Saw no real advantage in the AM.

Honolua was colder and murkier in the mornings - assume from the run off from the over night showers.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 00:38
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Snorkeling

My favorite area if the conditions are good on that side are Kahekili, Kapalua and Honolua Bay. Just to make sure the conditions were good, we always planned our snorkeling in the mornings. Chances are better then for optimal conditions.

4. Re: Afternoon Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:16