We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

Hey all!

My husband, 2 year old daughter & I will be visiting Maui in less than two weeks & I'd like some advice on what to do! We don't want to over plan for our visit, however, we want to make the most of it at the same time :) We are staying in Kihei and don't really have anything set in stone, as of yet! I would like to explore the Road to Hana one day & check out Wailea. We have been trying to decide on which luau to go to since we will have our daughter with us! Please give recommendations on places to go, eat & sightsee! Keep in mind we will have our little with us! Thank you all!

Edited: 04 September 2013, 02:56
Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,999 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

I would forget the luau. It's a lot of money, and I think you would not enjoy the evening. There will be hula shows at the Cannery Mall and other places that you will be able to enjoy with your daughter, and leave if she gets restless. You would be able to put the money saved towards a nice restaurant somewhere. The luaus usually end around nine at night.

The Road to Hana... if your daughter is up to a 12 hour day go for it. Not all 12 hours are spent in the car of course. But there is nothing to say you can't turn around at any point on the road if it gets to be too much. Even if you can go half way, to Keaanae Peninsula, you can ask yourself then, if you want to continue on, or turn around. But make sure you get Auntie Sandy's banana bread before you turn around!!

Maalaea has the Ocean Center there, and will be perfect for your daughter.

Invest in a good hat for her, sunscreen, sand toys, a BIG memory card for the camera, maybe even rent a beach umbrella for shade, and hit the beaches. Lots of memories to be made there.

Have a great time!

Edited: 04 September 2013, 03:03
Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,999 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

For a luau, if you are really set on that, the Makena Beach and Golf Resort has a new one, just twice a week, I think. Close enough to Kihei for a cab ride back "home" so you can both enjoy the drinks.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

Well, I would never waste the money and take a 2 year old to any of the luau! Your little one will dictate what you get to do! I'll be honest here, can you leave her with friends or family? She'll survive and you will have a great trip as a couple...trust me that makes a HUGE differenece down the road!

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

Leaving her home isn't an option at this point! Next year we will be taking a "couples" trip. Honestly, we are both okay with bringing her! We're both pretty laid back & don't really have any plans to do anything that isn't kid friendly. We mostly plan on being at the beach. & as for the road to Hana we just planned on doing the first part -- the waterfall & Paia. & the Luau was just something we considered since we are in Maui. We have both been to one on Oahu!! :) we will look into the Ocean Center! That sounds like something she would like.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
544 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

I agree, scrap the luau. We didn't enjoyit for the money. Food was good and I did enjoy the dancing but it wasn't worth what we paid IMHO , maybe the sugar cane train in Lahaina ?

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,316 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

I would skip the train........pretty sad these days, IMO. The Ocean Center is great. You might also enjoy I'ao Valley. (and yes, skip the luau)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

Good to hear! With a 2 year old I would not do a lot of "paid excursions"...buy some sand toys and enjoy the beach near your condo.

Maui Ocean Center is great with little ones. Be prepared for her jet-lag and run with it!

Next to water
Level Contributor
300 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

Not sure anything you plan is going to be perfect for a 2 year old so just find the places you want to go and if it's a good day with the tot then it will be a good day for you! When you aren't on the beach, jump in your car and go to Paia, Makawao, Iao Needle, Maui Swap Meet, Lavender Farm, Goat cheese farm, haleakala in the afternoon for fun for about an hour up the hill, lahaina banyan tree, day trip to Lanai via cheap ferry ride, mammas fish house or some beachy restaurant, or grab some take out food at Mana Foods in Paia and go sit on Hookipa beach and eat it....pick any one on any given day and have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Makawao
Makawao
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

I think it will be awesome fun visiting Maui with your daughter. The cool thing is that at the age of two, children can be very fun and easy to communicate with.........they can also need their nap times! You did not mention if you were staying in a condo, but if you are then there could be sand toys and boogie boards. My idea of a perfect Maui vacation with a young one would be lots of beach time in the morning before the sun gets hot! It may seem simple, but building sand castles and rides on a boogie or SUP board in calm waters are such fun. Our kids could play with us in hotel pools for literally hours and these were budget Quinta Inn type pools in Arizona! LOL!!!

Exploring along Sugar Beach would be cool cause there are little tidepools and the Kealia Pond Boardwalk to check out birds or maybe even turtles laying eggs at the end of the boardwalk. The sand is firm and easy to walk and there are all sorts of trees to climb and play teeter totter on. There is a playground in the middle of Kihei and the Kam Beaches have lawns for running all over the place. Buy some simple cheap sand toys from Walmart or Longs, maybe a float toy for the pool and it is amazing how much fun that can be! I would have no high hopes of long journeys, but do try to venture as far as your little one is having fun down the RTH cause you can alway turn around and drive back. Make many stops. The Garden of Eden could be fun because it has lots of open spaces to run and an overlook to view a waterfall from a safe distance, plus coastal views that are gorgeous. I would not want to pay $15 per person, but maybe during the slow season and with a small one they would not charge so much. They did it for us and we did not ask. They offered to reduce the price when my husband looked blue at paying that much so I could see rainbow eucalyptus trees. Then when we drove through the two mile garden, he realized how cool it was. That is only at mm 8 and an easy drive. Very cool art gallery too, with lots of local art with all different price points.

We love Coconuts Fish Cafe, Fabiani's Bakery and Pizza, 5 Palms for HH, Ululani's for shave ice in north Kihei by the ABC store and get the hull-huli chicken at the green church on Saturdays for a simple meal at home. We liked the Roundtable Pizza place at the shopping center with Safeway in Kihei. Not talked about a lot but it was good pizza and low-key atmosphere.

I hope you have a wonderful visit with your kiddo and make many happy memories together. Do keep an eye on the waves cause one wave knocking your child down will make them scared possibly for the rest of the trip. It happened to us and our three year old daughter would not go near the ocean for a solid week. That was a long week for our beach vacation, while the one year old ate sand every time we sat him down. Hmmmm, but you said leaving the kiddo at home wasn't an option........LOL!!! Have fun and take photos! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 day trip to Maui! Help :D

I agree with Deb and others. When my kids were 2 they were movers! I would not have activities planned, I would just go with the flow and play in the sand and water. If she is a good sleeper in the car, you can maybe take a few drives and see things that way as she sleeps. Have fun!