We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How am I supposed to work?

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How am I supposed to work?

29 days until we leave for Maui. 29 days....until paradise. 29 days until my sweet little ohana gets to spend 23 days on the island reconnecting with each other and simply enjoying our home away from home.

This will be my husband and my 5th trip to Maui...and the 3rd trip for our 4 1/2 year old son. Every day he asks me, "Mommy, can we leave for Maui today?" Everyday he tells me all the things he wants to do and see. All the things he's missed since our trip last year. Kapalua Bay. LuLu the monk seal, Ululani's shave ice, body surfing, eating all the yummy guava, visiting our friends in Hana, swimming with sea turtles. etc.

We created a countdown calendar to help Ben (or son) understand when we finally get to leave. I find myself giddy with excitement everyday that we get to mark a day closer to lift off.

I'm scouring the rental car boards looking for a cheaper car. I'm visiting websites of our favortie restaurants and placing pretend orders. I'm checking tripadvisor to read trip reports from others. I'm mostly packed (I mean how long does it take to throw a bathing suit, a sarong and a pair of slippahs in your bag?). I'm preparing Sassy Wahine cocktails so I can get in the mood and eating papaya and passionfruit. I wear a plumeria in my hair everyday (thank you God for a climate where my plumerias grow and bloom all summer long). I'm READY!! My son is READY! and my sweet husband is READY TOO!

I sit at my desk at work and just daydream...so how in the world am I supposed to get any work done??

Anyone else in the same boat?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How am I supposed to work?

Oh boy am I ever! Except I'll have to daydream for a year!! Torture! Everything you say sounds like perfection (except the waiting part!!)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How am I supposed to work?

Ah yes, the next best thing to being there is the delightfully painful anticipation!

:-)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How am I supposed to work?

My trip is not till next may but I feel your pain and anticipation.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How am I supposed to work?

I'm there in 27 days... see you there!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How am I supposed to work?

Oh....your next few days will be bittersweet. The longing of being there NOW, but the joy of knowing that you will be there soon.

It is funny how we all get as impatient as a 4 year old sometimes...huh?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How am I supposed to work?

We're there in 25 days. We've been to Maui 11 times, all but once celebrating our anniversary. This year will make it 48 years! Believe it or not we just bought the Lonely Planets Maui Guide Book. We have been pouring over it and have found many places we haven't tried for food, lots of beaches we haven't visited and lots of sights we haven't seen, even though we do a lot of touring around. Can't wait to be "home again" in Maui.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How am I supposed to work?

Looks like you have everything well in hand, Alohawahine!! Can't do much more than you are already doing!! The waiting game is the hardest isn't it? I'm so glad you are coming back to our favorite island!!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How am I supposed to work?

We don't go again until March...but I've already spent several days at work packing the suitcase in my mind and reading trip reports. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

California
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How am I supposed to work?

You can almost feel the trades by now! 23 days is way awesome.

Our fall trip is getting closer everyday, can't wait!

Roger

Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
265 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How am I supposed to work?

I'm right with you but I have 82 days. First trip to Maui been to all the other islands. We have two weeks on Maui and a week on our favorite Kauai. Count down is going fast now but I wish I was at 29 days.