We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final trip reports - last two days

san diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Final trip reports - last two days

we have made kit back to the mainland. I'm grateful for the time spent in Maui. everyday was a perfect day.

Thursday we also headed to Black rock at the Sheraton. The shuttles that the Westin offers were just ideal for getting around. We arrived around 10:30 and were in the water by 11. We swam around the back, and followed some scuba divers to see what they would find. We saw a large turtle and more eagle rays. They are so beautiful to watch.

After, my husband headed over to the cliffs for some diving. He was doing front flips and back flips. I was quite impressed. As he was cliff diving, two very large turtles came swimming to shore. They are such an awesome sight to see. Unfortunately, people were having little respect for the turtles. They were touching and crowding. I felt so badly for them. I finally went to the sheraton's water sports desk and told them the turtles were being harassed. They were immediately sending someone down.

We headed back in the afternoon in time for a happy hour drink and pupu. I've become completely obsessed with coconut shrimp, so we had some coconut shrimp and beers. We headed to the beach for our last sunset, and it was the so full of after color. We decided to have a last dinner at Duke's, so we took the short walk to the Honua Kai, and had a very nice last meal. Our waiter had said he had initially tried to get a job at Jake's in Del Mar, another TS restaurant, and this was the restaurant my now husband had taken me for my birthday dinner ten years ago, so the waiter gave us our hula pie for free. We both had fish for dinner. His was steamed with shrimp in a banana leaf, and I took the crusted moon fish.

Yesterday I woke up early and took a walk on the ocean down to the Sheraton. It was a walking mediation on my gratitude for having this opportunity. I grabbed coffee, and headed back to the room to pack up. We hit the ocean one last time in font of the villas for a last snorkel. For someone who was so scared of it, I have made a complete 180. I couldn't gt enough of it, and in front of the villas was just amazing. So much beautiful coral and so many fish. I found a fairly large puffer fish and followed his path for a long while. It was so much fun.

We used the lounge for showering, and thought we would head to I'ao valley. We had lunch at aloha mixed plate, and I had more coconut shrimp. We en headed to ululanis (spelling) for a shave ice, and made our way to the valley. So lush and green. It had just rained. It was a nice place to end our adventure.

My friends and my husband have been laughing at me in a loving way for being so obsessed with trip advisor, but it was so helpful. Through this forum and reading trip reports I learned so much, so I'm hoping I can be helpful too. I also liked documenting our journey. I think I'll cut and paste it into a document for remembering.

We are both also saying we will be back. There was so much more to explore!

Stephanie

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Black Rock
Black Rock
820 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,488 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,348 Reviews
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,880 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

I'm so glad to hear that TA helped you have such a wonderful trip and thanks for "giving back"! Now you can start planning the next one!

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
775 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

Thanks for sharing! We always leave with a list for what we will do "next time" as well!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,626 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

What a wonderful ending! I am so glad you had a wonderful trip! If you haven't guessed...we are all TA addicts! It has helped me so much learn over the years, and it is how I get my fix until I am there again! Thank you again for sharing your trip!

Level Contributor
37,804 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

We love coconut shrimp also! Thanks for sharing, sounds like a wonderful time. :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,920 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

Thanks so much for your running reports. I'm glad you told the desk about people harassing the turtles-perfect way to handle it!

You enjoyed a lot without "doing" a lot. That's a great way to enjoy Maui and your reports will help others.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

Thanks for the trip reports... I've read each and every one of them and thoroughly enjoyed them. Thanks for taking us along on your trip!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

I am so happy for you that you faced your fears with snorkeling and it turned into such a rewarding activity on your trip. Very nice! Your trip reports were wonderful and I thank you for sharing. My trip reports are like my online journal because I blog trip report and anytime I want to go back down memory lane, I just check out my blog. It is not only a trip blog, but has now become my online photo album. You might get a kick out of trying something like that and I was shocked at how easy it was! The best thing about it is being able to combine my words with my photos. I like to think it will be around longer than me and when our kids are beginning their families it will be a different way to share photos with the grandkids. Planning the next trip keeps most of us sane, along with sharing on TA! My husband jokes that he wonders how TA people we are surrounded by in Coconuts Fish Cafe or other highly recc'ed TA places! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Coconut's Fish Cafe
Coconut's Fish Cafe
4,473 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

I'm so glad you turned into a fish!! I was the same way, years ago but once you see the underwater magic, it's just unbelievable!! Thanks for sharing, Stephanie.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

I like how you spent your last day. Love AMP 's coconut shrimp! Sounds like you had a great time -- thanks for including us.

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Final trip reports - last two days

I am so happy too, that you discovered the joy of snorkeling!!! And that you thought to report the honu harassers to the Sheraton ocean activities people. Smart thinking! We saw the same thing and I asked people not to do it, but didn't have very much luck with that. Those two honu do seem to come right up to people at the beach there. I had to swim backwards to stay away!

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us! I predict that before long we will be seeing a post from waxyturtle that says "we're booked again!"

Edited: 07 September 2013, 21:43