We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
89 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

When we are in Maui we intend to do as much as we possibly can.

I

what was the best place or memory of Maui, I want to make sure we are not going to miss something wonderful.

please share

Mahalo

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

What stands out when I think of going to Maui is the view from the lanai ... what a great sight to wake up to and enjoy whenever we're at the condo! So that would be my 'best place'. For activities - swimming in the ocean, snorkelling, hiking, scenic drives. No regrets on things missed ... there's always the next trip :)

Your thread reminded me of another similar one from a few months ago ... you might enjoy reading it while waiting for answers here: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k6684461…

Edited: 07 September 2013, 18:50
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

Get out on the water. Get out on the water. Get out on the water. Whether you want to snorkel or not - take a snorkel sail, a sunset sail, a whale-watch ... just get out on the water off the coast of West Maui. You will never forget the views.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,323 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

Doing the road to Hana all the way around was the best thing we did. And seeing Jimmy Buffett in concert, but that was just luck! The only thing I was sorry I didn't do was go to Iao Valley - really wanted to see that area, and didn't get there . . . and more of Haleakala National Park. I guess I need to go back to Maui someday! :)

Edited: 07 September 2013, 19:06
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

One of the best day's I ever had on Maui was Christmas Day, 2006. We left the house early with a picnic brunch and a bottle of champagne. We went to Maluaka and there was no one there!! We ate, drank, sang and played Christmas carols on the boom box. The snorkeling that day was superb. I'm glad we did that!!

I don't think there is anything I'm sorry we didn't do.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

Oh, there are so many things, but just the scent in the air and listening to the ocean crashing into the rocks while relaxing on the beach with a book. Those are engraved into my brain and come back to me whenever I am sad or just sitting having a cup of Java in the morning.

I don't think you could go wrong with any activity. Go snorkelling, Road to Hana, drive through up country, sunrise at the summit, Iao Valley, sunset cruise, Warren and Annebelle (worth seeing), a Luau (we loved Old Lahanai Luau). Lahanai Front Street and just taking time to smell the beautiful flowers.

There will always be something new to do every time you go back.

Have an awesome trip.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

There are so many wonderful things that I wouldn't want to miss, can't tell just one! But I agree with BLBL, get out on the water, and I say get in the water and snorkel too! The Trilogy Lanai tour was wonderful. I am also so glad we went during whale season and had a fabulous close encounter with a whale!!! We were very lucky there.

Seeing Willie K perform was another highlight, as was the Old Lahaina Lua'u. And we finally went to Mama's Fish House for the first time on our last trip, it was an absolutely perfect celebration for our anniversary!

I also loved the Hana Highway and all of it's beautiful sights. Upcountry Maui is spectacular as well, and our O'o Farm lunch tour was a highlight for me as a food and garden geek.

I love Makena, Maluaka Beach and LaPerouse Bay. Seeng a huge pod of dolphins jumping and spinning, sparkling in the sunshine in the aqua blue bay was spectacular! And the northwest side of Maui is gorgeous too- Kapalua trails, beaches, Nakalele blowhole ...

The very most rewarding thing we did on Maui, though was to visit the keiki of the Lahaina homeless resource center and donate books from our family and the kids at the school where I work, and read with the children.

There are so many more things that we loved and hope to do again. There are even more that we haven't done yet - Haleakala Summit, Bailey House Museum, paddle an outrigger canoe, hike Pipiwai trail, attend the Masters of Slack Key show ....

But if you ask my DH, Brian, what the best thing we've done is, he will say, "it's just being there on Maui". And he's right, whatever you do or don't do, you should be sure to stop and breathe in the indescribable Maui magic.Just let yourself soak up this place that is so special to so many of us. If you do, you will be back!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

I'm glad I returned to Maui and stayed in N. Kihei this time. Loved the area, empty stretch of Sugar Beach, and the spacious condo we rented.

I'm sorry I didn't go on a second boat trip to see whales. One is just not enough!

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

Hearing the whales sing while snorkeling off Makena beach. Coolest thing ever!

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

I love this post. Not new to TA but a "newbie" to Maui. Refreshing it is not a "which condo?" question. I see it as: We are already there! I feel that no matter where we book or how much we spend we all will have an awesome experience! I do my own research using the internet, travel books and You Tube, but TA posts like this one are invaluable to my planning! First trip Feb. 2014, got the car so far... :) So much poetry on this site. :) Sweet,

Edited: 07 September 2013, 23:11
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,639 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One thing you are glad you did on Maui, or sorry you didnt

So very glad we did the Waihee Ridge Trail during our last trip. And also, our last trip, though our third time driving the RTH, we finally stayed one night in Hana to explore more of the area.

If I'm sorry about anything, it's not being able to get my family back on Maui, all together!