We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

My wife and I stayed in Lahaina last year and loved it. We have been asked to help plan (or mostly plan) a trip for my Mom and step-Dad. They want the most kid-free environment possible, a hotel with room service, near golf or with golf on premise, oceanfront, $600 max per night. The activities we are good with. I am looking for help with where to put them! Everywhere is fair game, except Paia and Hana. Ideas and experiences?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

Welcome back! When are they planning to travel...they can avoid a lot of the kid crowds if they travel when school is in session.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

Thanks Mamma! They will be going for his birthday, which is February 4th. So a 8 day or so trip around that date. We are looking everywhere from the North tip to the Southern tip and everywhere in between!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,102 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

Sir,

WHERE'S OUR TRIP REPORT?????

Okay, now that I got that out of the way........how about the new Andaz?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

Well both Kapalua, the Ritz, and Kaanapali, the Sheraton, Westin and Hyatt have golf courses so it depends if they want a lot of walkable dining and shopping options. The Ritz is more isolated, maybe 15 minutes, from Kaanapali.

They will encounter a few babies and toddlers but shouldn't find hoards of kids.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

sw...when I looked their garden views started at about $600! Whew!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

SW, lmao, yessum, will do. just told my wife what you posted, she cracked up. We just agreed to write it this week!

As far as the Andaz, looks GREAT, but, um, it STARTS at $649, I stopped looking when it hit $1300/night, but I will put it on my list for when I win PowerBall ;-)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

the Hyatt looks like a good choice. buy my mom made a comment this week about how "huge" the hotels were. Not sure if this was a positive or negative, but with 800 + rooms, the Hyatt definitely qualifies as HUGE

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

See? We pay attention!! See if you can get them to stretch the visit to 10 nights, if they live near you they have a long flight, as you know!

Have her look at the Sheraton, still big but the property is a bit more spread out. Remember the whales are frolicking in Feb. Make sure they have an oceanview lanai.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

agreed Mamma, the whale stories we told convinced them they had to go to Maui. Our experience at the Sheraton almost kept us from offering this as a choice, but in hindsight we were there during Spring Break. We did not stay there, only went for a beer, but quickly left due to the hoards of kids and spring breakers (no, we don't dislike kids, but it was not cool being splashed often during our brief stay at the "cliffside" bar which is nowhere near the cliff

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning trip for my Mom and step-Dad

I have to admit, I giggle when people complain in reviews of hotels about kids during spring breaks or high summer/holiday times. Maui is great for both families AND couples...timing is everything!