We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

Laveen, Arizona...
12 posts
Save Topic
Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

I am planning a trip for October 2014 to celebrate my 40th. We are inviting a lot of people, many with kids. I would love to find a place to stay right by a beach with a restaurant close by where we could all have a celebration dinner one night. Thinking there might be around 30 of us and it would be convenient to find an affordable place everyone could stay. I plan on scuba diving as much as possible, but am going to leave it open for everyone to plan activities they want. I've hear Maui has the best diving, which is why we think that is our best option. Kids will range from 4-15.

Any suggestions, advice, etc would be WONDERFUL!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

Sounds like a great party ahead!! Help us help you--I'm betting you want condos, but give us the nightly budget. That way we can rec places that will work.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

The Maui Eldorado has the beach cabana house. If you are staying there they have a guideline where you may be able to have the cabana as a private party place for your family. Check with maui Eldorado.

An earlier poster mentioned that they have the use of the pavillion at the Aina Nalu for their family party celebration.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

JG, they can rent the Cabana at the Eldorado, but it's $1000.00 fee---not free. Ot's a great spot, for all kineds of parties, I just don't want her to think it won't cost. At least one person/party must, of course-stay at the Eldorado .

Edited: 09 September 2013, 03:27
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

You are on a mission! You need to find a condo complex that offers different pricing options...oceanfront, oceanview, garden or mountain view within your budget. We really need to know that!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

How about the Maui Ka'anapali Villas? There are a variety of lodging options there as well as others nearby. And you could talk with their beachside Castaway Cafe about your large group reservation for dinner.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

Actually, Big Island of Hawaii has the best sealife. However, there is a wider choice of restaurants, condos, hotels, and man-made stuff on Maui -- along with more easy-access beaches. What's the budget for lodging? How do you plan to set up transportation while you're on an island?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

If you want the best diving, Maui isn't it, the big island of Hawaii is the place to be for that. Maui has good diving but Hawaii beats Maui hands down.

Laveen, Arizona...
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

As far as cost, I need to find something relatively inexpensive. Since everyone is paying their own way, I don't want people to feel stretched paying for flight, accommodations, transportation, AND entertainment. Many of us have kids and I know my own family works better in a 2 bedroom so the kids can go to bed earlier and the parents can unwind...... alone (o;

I don't need anything formal for the dinner - just a place large enough to hold around 40 people, kid friendly, and not over the top expensive. We are going to be paying for it and I'd like to have money left for diving!

We had assumed Maui would be the best place, but I am open to island suggestions. Not everyone is a diver, plus there will be kids. Would love to find a beach front location to stay so the parents can take their kids to the beach with all their crap and not break their backs doing it.

Depending on the amount of people, we will probably rent vans. If there was a decently priced hotel that offered transportation to some activities it might be more cost effective then car rentals.

I don't want to sound ignorant, we have traveled a lot. This is just the first time I have to consider other people and put together a kind of event, plus we haven't gone on this kind of a vacation with our 5 and 7 year old before. Always been state side and around relatives. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

Stephanie---we really, really need a number!!!!! "relatively inexpensive" means nothing-or everything-to different people and their own standards.

Do you mean 100 a night? 300 a night? help!!!

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giant Birthday Bash Help needed!

Hale Kamaole in Kihei comes to mind. condos that have 2 bedrooms and sofa beds in the living area. we've had a few events here ocupying 5 units. close to the beach and a BBQ area. you can bash out here not even needing a restaurant. gather around one main condo that has outside chairs and have others bring beach chairs. Costco

diving is kinda pricey here but worth it so many ways since u never been. u will have options for shore entries as well and maybe bring your own mask and stages. u can rent BC's, tanks, belts and fins ez.