We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui no car

Cambridge...
4 posts
Save Topic
Maui no car

Has anybody done Maui without a car? Is it worth the hassle, or should I just rent a car?

Thanks

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui no car

rent a car.

seattle
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui no car

Rent a car, there is to much to see and do. Even if you are just planning on relaxing....

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui no car

Rent a car. It's not as much hassle as waiting for public transportation or a taxi. Besides there is so much to see , so many different beaches and so many places to eat.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui no car

Just got back on Saturday and I couldn't imagine not having a car. Rent a car.....

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui no car

Just got back 1.5 week ago. Definitely rent a car! It is not much of a hassle to rent a car. It only took us half an hour to get the car at National after we arrived and returning the car only took 5 minutes. You would miss a lot without having a car.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui no car

Rent that car.

Ken

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,217 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui no car

Did anyone mention that you should rent a car? :-)

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui no car

Pzp -

Too funny!

Pmanni02 -

Seriously though, there is a very good reason everyone keeps recommending that you have a car. The fact is, Maui, while definitely developed (I know some folks who think it's over-developed) is still relatively spread out, with a fairly low density and pretty much non-existant public transportation. Though traffic in Lahaina can be a nightmare at rush hour (and parts of South Kihei Road can be pretty bad too), much of Maui - no, actually MOST of Maui - is still very rural. This is part of the reason (the other major reason being all the great beaches) that Maui is so very popular. It offers a really great balance of development and rural atmosphere (along with all the entertainment and activities that go along with these two extremes).

So, yeah, unless you plan on just staying in your local area (and playing in the water all the time ) you really should have a car. Maui is just too spread out not to - and has wayyyyyyyyy too much to see and do to just spend all your time near your accomodations.

Ken

rjf
LA
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui no car

We just got back a couple of weeks ago. I don't see how it is possible to enjoy Maui without renting a car. Go ahead and rent one.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui no car

If you are staying on Kanapali,you can easily skip a car. There are busses that will take you to other hotels, and various shopping areas. Hilo Hattie's will get you into Lahaina but you will need to cab back if you stay late. I would go without a car but I am a shopper and don't mind hanging around the resort and beach. How would you get to your hotel is another consideration.

If you do go with one, go to Dollar rent a car, they will tie you up forever in lines but you will get a car for a fraction of the price of anyone else. Check out the websites and compare.