We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
429 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

I thought I'd start this message in response to my earlier question about not going snorkeling on a snorkel cruise because of my fear of water... http://tinyurl.com/pjua3o9

Tell me about something you were scared to do, even swore you'd never do, and then were so glad you did. (whether you loved it or hated it) And how did you get your courage? I don't really mean like "I was really scared to skydive but it was great", but more like "I was so terrified that I couldn't even THINK about doing it without my heart pounding" kind of thing. (I can't wait to see what Caddyshackman might come up with...)

My problem is also that I WANT to snorkel. I WISH I could. I have before in the Caribbean but the waters were very clear and calm. It took some time to get used to the mask, but once I got a look at the gorgeous life under the surface, I was smitten. That was over 20 years ago.

I tried again a few years ago at Haunama Bay but with the choppy waters I kept getting water in my snorkel and I couldn't relax so gave up. I want to see the amazing things that everyone talks about! It wasn't very clear at Haunama Bay that day either, so nothing real interesting in water that wasn't over my head so it just wasn't worth the anxiety is was causing.

This December, I am going to turn 50 while we're in Maui. I want to do some things I normally shy away from. I rarely regret it once I do. (Our third time at Disney, my son talked me into FINALLY going on the Tower of Terror - "C'mon Mom! You only live once!". I finally agreed, and absolutely loved it and went on it five more times. The Montu roller coaster at Busch Gardens... not so much. I was terrified the entire ride and probably for an hour afterwards! But at least I did it and lived to tell about it.

I really want to have that "You only live once!" attitude. However, I can't quit thinking that I"m just not ready for this "once" to be over with! For crying out loud, I'm only 50!! (49 right now, but who's counting?)

So let me know what you did (or plan on doing), how you talked yourself into it, and how it felt and if you'd do it gain. I can't wait to hear!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

I went to a timeshare presentation.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

lol timeshare, I bought one in Florida what an idiot. was only 7k back then and xchange it it yearly and pay that maintenance but it actually works great.

I talked myself into venturing farther and made it to india and Dubai. gonna work on S Africa next. keep going why ur still young. good luck. try scuba diving next

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

BillieJo

I know what you mean I turned 50 last year and we had snorkeled a little on our previous trip to Maui in 2011 but I just don't think we snorkeled in the right places so we didn't enjoy it and also I had a hard time breathing with the snorkel.

We returned again this past june staying at the Nohonani with my daughter and her boyfriend we rented snorkel equipment again. There is a small beach in front of Nohonani and the water was very calm in the am hours we put our gear on and immediately I got that anxious feeling trying to breathe through the snorkel told my husband I can't do it, he said yes you can just try to relax and you know what I made myself relax and I could breathe just fine it was absolutely awesome and everyday after that on our trip we snorkeled.

I am hooked now we are going back next may staying at Nohonani again and I plan on snorkeling everyday and branching out and trying new spots as we only snorkeled from our beach at Nohonani in june.

Snorkeling made our trip 100% better especially since a lot of Honus are in the waters where Nohonani is located that was the most feeling to be snorkeling and see them that close.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,466 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

Snorkeling was mine. Being from MN and never swimming in the ocean before terrified me. I grew up with the Jaws movies and I really didn't think I could do it. Well we came with my kids and I am one to believe I should not pass my fears on to my children. I wanted them to learn to love the ocean and enjoy it. I signed us up with Ocean Project to learn about ocean critters and snorkeling...and we ended up booking 2 more times with them! (it was not as expensive back then!) We learned to love the ocean and all creatures and we snorkel almost every day when we come to Maui. I have also done a ton of research and ready to really learn about being smart in the ocean.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

Snorkeled again after my first attempt. Let me explain. Being from Kansas, I was a newbie to the ocean and snorkeling and am 50+ years old. I'm standing in just under knee deep water attempting to walk in with my flippers on (I can feel Msfuzz cringing already). A big wave comes along, knocks me on my you-know-what -- spins me around like a top. With each wave out, I attempt to get up -- and then each wave in spins me around some more. By the time I finally was able to get out of the water, I decided I was NOT going to try that again. And I didn't that trip. My husband would have helped as he was still standing -- but the wave grabbed his snorkel and mask out of his hand and he was trying to go after it. It took days to get the sand out of places it shouldn't have been.

Anyway, next trip I tried it again and worked through some of the newbie issues and now I am hooked and snorkel every waking moment I can when I'm back on the islands. I have gained confidence but yet remember to respect the ocean. Between trips, I educated myself in different ways to make sure I'm doing it right and safely. It is my favorite thing to do EVER!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

Yes, msfuzz does cringe once in a while!! We all have learned what not to do!! Coming from Colorado and never having a swimming lesson in my life, the ocean just overwhelmed me. When we first moved to Hawaii, I wouldn't go out any further than where I could firmly put my feet on the sand.

My dh, bless him, knew I knew how to float and tread water and after moving to Maui, he gently started to teach me how to snorkel using a boogie board at Kapalua Bay. After a few tries, the boogie board was gone and I actually started snorkeling on my own. After that, I would snorkel almost anywhere. I do know my limitations though and have learned not to go beyond my abilities. All this after turning 50.

I didn't even know what a reef was when we first went to Maui. Through different volunteer activities and ocean awareness classes, we learned where to go what to do and most important, what NOT to do!!

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

Ha ha - somehow, attending a timeshare presentation doesn't seem like a "You Only Live Once" type of thing! I have to say, though, that we have definitely sworn to never do it again!

Wow - seems like snorkeling is intimidating for a lot of people. I never knew!

kai_khem, I'll tell you what - if I EVER scuba dive, I'll pay the maintenance on that timeshare of yours for the rest of your life! Wow - India. That's amazing. Good luck on your S. Africa planning!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

This may not be what you are looking for, but changing my mind changed our life. I was the oldest of four sisters that saved money for several years so we could pay for our parents three week 50th anniversary trip to Maui/Oahu in December of 2008.........and the entire family was hoping to join them on this expensive adventure. I was the hold-out that adamantly said it was too expensive and we would NOT be able to afford that trip. I said that if they were lucky, I would go, but we would never be able to swing all four members of our family being able to join the rest of the family. Long story made short........even though the tickets were amazingly expensive, our condo was still very affordable and we discovered that it was doable. (Our daughter had to stay home and work.) I was afraid of going because I felt it was going to "break the bank", but I discovered that it wasn't about expensive dinners, tours and things.........rather being with the ones we loved, celebrating our parents milestone event, in the place they began their marriage together.........Oahu in 1958.

Why did it change our lives? Within one week of landing on Maui, we both knew that this was the only place we were interested in vacationing and that our future visits would be during low season and often. Yes, we could be those people that do that and anyone that wants to know how, only has to ask and I will tell them it is cheaper than they might expect. Longevity on our jobs, grown children and generous vacations also make it possible.

Changing my mind about the possibility of joining my family on that trip reintroduced us to the place we retreat to for every vacation. And I SWORE for over four years that we weren't going to be able to do anything that wildly expensive, during the Christmas season. Sometimes you have to be unafraid to jump off the deep end and become those people! Deb

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

Deb,

that is one of the Best.Posts.Ever.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: YOLO: What have you done that you swore you'd never do?

12 years ago my daughter talked me into a shark and ray feeding "excursion" in the lagoons around Moorea. Scared the bejeezus out of me, but I took courage from the squeals of delight and amazement I heard from my daughter's snorkel. Fast forward to June 2012 when my daughter talked me into the night manta ray snorkel excursion on the Big Island. Okay, that wasn't nearly as fright-inducing as being in the water when sharks are feeding..... But in both instances, I ended up not only enjoying the experiences, but I'd happily do them again, and I look forward to remembering them together with my daughter for the rest of my life.