We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day two of snorkeling

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Day two of snorkeling

Hit Kapalua early this morning. Pretty much had the bay to ourselves for a half hour or so. Not to mention an awesome parking spot. LOL Pretty mellow day today. Sometimes it's really nice not having things planned to do or see. Just enjoy what we love most about Maui.

http://thehahaluajournal.blogspot.com/

Edited: 10 September 2013, 07:42
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day two of snorkeling

Love the sea star and moray's dental pose. A nice go with the flow kinda day. Appreciate your posting and sharing the photos. Love photos!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day two of snorkeling

Yep..just showed Rena and she pointed to the Octopus. Amazing how they can blend right in! Sounds like you are off to a fabulous start!! Can't wait to see and hear more!

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day two of snorkeling

Enjoying your blog. Thanks for posting. :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
829 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day two of snorkeling

So fun thanks for sharing! I'm stumped though...where is the octopus? Lol :-)

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day two of snorkeling

>>Amazing how they can blend right in!<<

yes, I think that's why I haven't seen one since that day at Molokini - they're camouflaged. I think I need to slow down and look more closely :)

Thanks dreaminof for the great pictures from Kapalua Bay. And yes, it was a bit cloudy last week as well but some days were better than others. Love your picture of the eel, the way they bare their teeth at you I love that.

Dave

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day two of snorkeling

Yes it was certainly a master of disguise. My wife originally spotted it. But it ducked under the rock anytime we got anywhere close. When we backed away a little it would come out. Once it came out to the sand and sat there with it's legs curled up but every time we tried to get a pic it vanish. When it was out it blended perfectly with the algae and soft corals. It would crack me up when all I could see was a pair of eyes peeking over the edge.

The Whitemouth morays do like to show that mouth off. Usually one of the easiest ways to spot them. Many times you will see them just lying there pumping water through their gills. I have read that's how they sleep. Maybe it's an intimidation thing so no one bugs them while they sleep. We must have seen a half dozen juvenile whitemouth's out there yesterday. Saw a nice snowflake also my favorite moray but it disappeared before I could take a pic.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,118 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day two of snorkeling

Fun day! Ice cream or shave ice is a must right now........sure wish we'd get our trades back!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day two of snorkeling

Great picks, loved the octopus and the star fish. Did you identify it dreamin? Thanks again for the awesome reports!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day two of snorkeling

Great pictures, nice variety sea creatures. Makes me antsy to get into the water.

Lauren, I'm stumped too. :-)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day two of snorkeling

Love your Blog and that you are having so much fun.

You have such beautiful underwater pictures. What kind of water camera do you have, I am assumming that it is really good one.

I love snorkelling but none for me this year. It is so peaceful watching all the little fishees swimming by, but if I run into that snakey looking (eel) I might panic.

Looking forward to your next blog.

Cheryl